Suggestions on upgrading storage space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanVanVan

Patron
I'm getting FreeNAS warnings that my 18TB raidz2 server is over the 80 recommended capacity. (FWIW I was surprised I'm losing 3.6 TB of space based on a recommended fill capacity, I thought I had a while to go before I had to consider upgrading...)

I'm trying to decided my best course of action now. My current system stats are in my signature. Should I buy a larger case, more drives, and a second LSI card? And move all the components of my original system over into the larger case (and create an additional pool on the new drives)? Or alternatively, should I just build a second system from scratch?

For a while I figured I'd upgrade my 3TB drives to 4TB drives at some point. Backup my data, swap all the drives and recreate the pool. Now that work (and cost) doesn't seem worth it for an additional 6TB (or 4.8 at the recommended 80% filled).

LOL or probably my best option: Delete some movies I'm never going to watch anyway and free up space (since that's 90% of my storage).

LIGISTX

Guru
Well, just FYI, you can do the larger drive swap dealio without offloading the data. If you one disc at a time replace them with larger capacity drives, once all drives are of the larger capacity you will have the full capacity of them to play with. So on your case, maybe upgrade to 6TB drives, two or three per month until you replaced them all. Then you will have twice as much space as you do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvanVanVan

Patron
Oh, I didn't even realize they had 6TB drives out... last I looked a few years ago 4TB drives had just been released. Maybe I will do that.

I figured replacing 1 drive at a time as you described would be possible (it's how I removed the encryption from my pool) but wasn't sure of the ins and outs of it in the case of upgrading. I see the section in the freenas docs that goes over it now.

Thank you

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Oh, I didn't even realize they had 6TB drives out... last I looked a few years ago 4TB drives had just been released. Maybe I will do that.

I figured replacing 1 drive at a time as you described would be possible (it's how I removed the encryption from my pool) but wasn't sure of the ins and outs of it in the case of upgrading. I see the section in the freenas docs that goes over it now.

Thank you
Lol there are 10TB options for disk sizes.

Also putting your specs in your signature is worthless for anyone using mobile devices. It should always go in your post.

Last edited:

EvanVanVan

Patron
Lol there are 10TB options for disk sizes.

Also probably your specs in your signature is worthless for anyone using mobile devices. It said always go in your post.

Cool story, man. I hadn't/haven't looked and I also am not really sold on the replacing disks option because then I have (8)3TB drives I have no use for...

And signature's work fine on Chrome mobile...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171114-112447.png
    Screenshot_20171114-112447.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Cool story, man. I hadn't/haven't looked and I also aren't really sold on the replacing disks option because then I have (8)3TB drives I have no use for...

With that attitude you will not last long here. Good luck with your expanding.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's dependent on screen width. Most phones in landscape do not show signatures at typical zoom levels.

EvanVanVan

Patron
With that attitude you will not last long here. Good luck with your expanding.

Sorry, but your original response didn't seem very helpful or necessary.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...but not in Tapatalk, which is what most mobile users use.
I also aren't really sold on the replacing disks option because then I have (8)3TB drives I have no use for
Yes, that's the downside. That's why I moved to a 36-bay server about a year and a half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.