Strange boot issue with Freenas 11.3-U5

someguy123

Cadet
Hi -

This is my first post here. I recently did a bios update on the Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O and after successfully updating, Freenas would boot, but hang at:
Code:
freenas trying to mount root from zfs

I assumed the USB was going bad, so I created a new Freenas USB (UEFI), and was not able to get past the same area. So thinking it was a USB thing, I installed Freenas on a spare SATA drive, again same issue.
Finally after LOTS of trial and errors with bios changes, removing drives, boot order, UEFI boot only, etc, I reverted the bios to defaults. Same issue, however I accidentally realized that if I push the reset button when Freenas hangs at "trying to mount root from zfs", it will start correctly and I can import my old config/see the pool. In later testing, I found I could power it on, then reset and freenas would boot normally, but not if I directly power it on, or it recovers with power.

In short - if I power on from off (no power), it will hang at "freenas trying to mount root from zfs"
If I reboot after it's been powered on, it will boot all the way through and start Freenas normally.

I have tried multiple things, and I don't understand what is going on. Before reverting the BIOS to default, I changed quite a bit without recording what I did, but nothing seemed to work. I would like to not have to reset the machine when it recovers from a power failure...

Anyone have any ideas?

System specs:
Freenas 11.3-U5
Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O
2 X Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2
64GB of ECC DDR4 SDRAM ECC 2133 (PC4 17000)
3 X 8TB Seagate Barracude HD's in ZFS
1 250 GB X Sandisk SSD (freenas installation)
A cheap PCIe video card (can't remember what it is, only use it for console viewing)

Alecmascot

Guru
So it worked before the bios update ?
Just revert and live with it.

someguy123

Cadet
So it worked before the bios update ?
Just revert and live with it.

I will try that once I am able to shut down (I have lots of users) - I was hoping for a solution with the bios update but will report back when I roll back the bios