Storage Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IlikeApples4221

Currently our household data is fragmented amongst 4 cloud accounts and 3 computers so I've been thinking about localizing them. I would guesstimate the combined size to be ~4TB +/- 1TB.

Current hardware that I have from my mining rig.
  • Pentium G3220
  • H81 Pro BTC
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM
  • 2 x Intel PRO/1000 CT
I'm pretty familiar with Linux since I use Arch as my daily desktop so I've been learning ZFS on Linux. For the FreeNAS route I would need to sell my motherboard for one that supports ECC with more SATA ports and 8-16 GB of ECC RAM. For the Linux route, 2GB of RAM should be more than sufficient for a server without a desktop that only uses a few hundred megabytes of RAM and the software setup I'm thinking Arch > mdadm > LVM > Btrfs > LXC > ownCloud, Transmission, etc. I haven't decided on the drives yet because "ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility" is listed in the motherboards download page which would suggest the motherboard would not natively support drives larger than 3TB? The motherboard have 4 SATA ports so I would need one or two PCI-E to SATA controllers in the future. I do not have a case since that would be detrimental to mining so the NZXT Source 210 for $50 seems like it would be sufficient with 8 3.5" bays with an optional additional 5 using the 3 5.25" bays.

Looking for input on
  • FreeNAS or Linux
  • What drives
  • More SATA ports
  • Case
  • PSU

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.