Storage issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
Hi, im new to freenas and i just found out I can't mount my ext4 drives without making them part of a zpool which would wipey drives.

My problem is that I am not home and I'm working remotely. Is there a way to mount my drives in ssh so that I can move the data so I can make the zpool? I'm a newb to linux in general so step will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You'll have to offload that data somewhere else if you want to use the drive that it's on. Might be best to keep it as a backup and start with new.

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
So there is no way to mount it outside the freenas via CLI?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
No mounting of EXT4 drives is not supported as clearly explained in the manual that's linked at the top of this page and your FreeNAS GUI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is your goal to mount that disk and serve the data that's on it, or to mount the disk so you can copy its data onto your pool? If the latter, the Import Disk button in the GUI should do the trick.

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
Mount so I can see what is on it and copy it somewhere

danb35

Hall of Famer
"Somewhere" like where? If to your storage pool, again, the Import Disk button will (or at least should--if it doesn't, it's a bug) do the business--it will mount the volume, copy everything onto your pool (into a specified dataset), and then unmount the volume.

But if you insist on doing it at the command line, that should be possible as well--if the system can mount the ext4 volume through the web GUI, the backend CLI tools have to be there. I'm not sure if ext4 is directly supported, but if not, it's backward compatible with ext3 and ext2.

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
Well the thing is that I don't have a pool yet since my drives all have data on them, since I can't see it before hand, I can't tell which drive I can wipe without worry. Because I know that one of the drive has just a few files copied from another drive but I forget which one and I don't want to erase the wrong drive. If u find the right one then I could make a single drive pool so I can dump the rest of the stuff on and then I could use the other drive as well

Stux

MVP
No mounting of EXT4 drives is not supported as clearly explained in the manual that's linked at the top of this page and your FreeNAS GUI.

It says its possible in some cases.

You should be able to mount the EXT4 drive (providing its possible as per above link) via SSH, and do what you need... but you might have to do some more googling to work out how to do that.

D

dlavigne

Well the thing is that I don't have a pool yet since my drives all have data on them, since I can't see it before hand, I can't tell which drive I can wipe without worry. Because I know that one of the drive has just a few files copied from another drive but I forget which one and I don't want to erase the wrong drive. If u find the right one then I could make a single drive pool so I can dump the rest of the stuff on and then I could use the other drive as well

That won't work then as you need a pool to copy to. As Jailer indicated earlier, you'll need to copy the data somewhere first so that you can create (i.e. format) the pool.

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
I have a empty drive that I will plug-in and convert it to zfs

Stux

MVP
Correct me if I'm wrong, Joshua has two drives. One has his data... the other does not. He needs to know which one has the data, so he can format the other one as a pool. Then he can import the one with the data... and then he can attach that now imported disk as a mirror of the first.

Yeay.

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
Right. But i drove home this morning an plugged in a empty drive, so I should be good now.. My basement was flooded so I can't live at home for the time being hence why I have to do everything remote. I was hoping last night that I could find a solution that could allow me to continue working on freenas so I wouldn't have to go to the house to plug in a drive on my way to work :)

Be sure you have a viable plan on how you will transition from your current state to the final state with your data on the server.

How many drives will the server have once it is set up? What configuration will they be in? Mirrors, RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2, etc? Do you understand that you cannot simply add single drives to an existing RAIDZ pool without loosing your redundancy?

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
This won't be a storage server.. It will mostly run my apps and store media temporarily till it is moved to my storage server. I decided on freenas because of the jail concept. I think it will fit my needs better for stuff like nginx+php, and sonarr, sab and those media type app. So I just need one or 2 drives. Issue is that I don't have drives of the same size so I might pool a 250gb with a 320gb ad forfeit the lost space. I made a temp pool with a 1tb for now

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I decided on freenas because of the jail concept
If jails are what float your boat, you might be better off with straight FreeBSD or PC-BSD. Jails almost disappeared from FreeNAS recently (see Corral) so I wouldn't bank on having them in FreeNAS long-term. Also, consider Ubuntu + LXD containers.

Joshua Walker

Dabbler
If jails are what float your boat, you might be better off with straight FreeBSD or PC-BSD. Jails almost disappeared from FreeNAS recently (see Corral) so I wouldn't bank on having them in FreeNAS long-term. Also, consider Ubuntu + LXD containers.
Well for now it works. I also appreciate the webui. Which will allow for easy access remotely. I just think jail is a bonus. If it wasn't there, I would have just fall back to learning docker

Status
Not open for further replies.