Stop Scrub or just shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starpulkka

Contributor
Hi

Tryed search in this forum wich one is better, zpool scub -s or just shutdown in middle of scrub. But i didnt found exact answer.
I had one machine scrubbin in 50% complete when suddenly hard thunder came fast (first time in 30years i really scared this massive noisy lightning) so i logged in freenas and do zpool scrub -s puul and then i shutdown computer and ripped all electronics in house, lightning did broke my modem port, but i had backup ready.. Next time scrub started from 0%.

So the question is. Witch one is better to do?
Shutdown machine while it is scrubbin zfs pool or stop scrub and then wait 1min and then shutdown machine?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't know if there is a "better", I think either is fine however I think for peace of mind it at least feels better to manually stop the scrub and then shutdown.

But did you know that you can stop the scrub from the GUI? Storage -> Click on the pool name -> Click Scrub Volume and if a scrub is running it will ask you if you want to stop the scrub. I'd personally like to see the icon change to a stop scrub looking icon once the pool is selected, assuming a scrub is running.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Both are very safe and I wouldn't sweat over either option. But as I like to have control of things I'd rather stop the scrub, shutdown the box and restart the scrub later manually when I bring the box back up.

Starpulkka

Contributor
But did you know that you can stop the scrub from the GUI? Storage -> Click on the pool name -> Click Scrub Volume and if a scrub is running it will ask you if you want to stop the scrub. I'd personally like to see the icon change to a stop scrub looking icon once the pool is selected, assuming a scrub is running.

No i didn't know that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.