Still struggling with permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedeaux

Dabbler
Ok, I had posted another thread with a similar issue. It turned out that I had a drive that was throwing SMART critical errors which caused me to move the data off of it and remove it from the system. I took that opportunity to consolidate all my media fetching and processing into a single jail. I now have two jails:

plexpass - standard jail, contains plex, has mounted storage, 'video' with my media library
sabnzbd - pluginjail with sabnzbd, transmission, and sonarr, has mounted storage, 'video' same as above

Prior to the consolidation and drive failure, I had the plugins each in their own jail, and there was peace and harmony with no permission problems (of course there were issues in the beginning when I built the machine which I had solved...)

I had a FreeNAS user, family, with it's respective group uid:gid of 1001:1001 which was used for the permissions of the above mentioned 'video' dataset.

When I consolidated everything, I made the FreeNAS user media with its group to match what is being used for the plugins -- uid:gid 816:816. I used the FreeNAS web gui and applied this owner/group permissions recursively to the 'video' dataset.

I changed transmission's user to 'media' inside the pluginjail.

I point sabnzbd and transmission to this mounted 'video' storage.

Sonarr behave wonderfully with transmission -- passes a torrent to transmission and processes said torrent when completed, all is well.

SABnzbd on the other hand is dowloading, even sonarr is processing successful downloads, but it's throwing multiple 'cannot change permissions' errors for the download dirs. I'd like to see this process working without errors, even though it is work better now.

Josh, you began helping me before -- and you maintain the plugins. Please read over this and see what I am missing. I am at a point where I've got all the media in a safe place, so I can reinstall plugins, even create new datasets as needed.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
what are you asking? what plugin is having issues with permissions?

can you show the output for the file/folder it is complaining about
Code:
ls -l /path/to/files

dedeaux

Dabbler
sabnzb is complaining like this (errors for all files it downloads):

ERROR 25/03/2016 06:55 Cannot change permissions of /mnt/media/downloads/sabnzbd/incomplete/[FOLDER OF DOWNLOAD/NAME OF PARTICULAR FILE

Yet, it's downloading and sonarr successfully process completed downloads.

Here is the dataset 'video', mounted as 'media' on the pluginjail:
drwxrwxr-x+ 459 media media 461 Mar 24 22:43 Movies
drwxrwxr-x+ 319 media media 321 Feb 26 09:50 Music
drwxrwxr-x+ 12 media media 20 Oct 8 07:29 Stuff
drwxrwxr-x+ 173 media media 174 Mar 24 14:19 TV Shows
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 media media 4 Mar 25 00:20 downloads

And here's the download directory:

drwxrwxr-x+ 4 media media 4 Mar 25 00:23 sabnzbd
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 media media 3 Mar 25 03:15 transmission

And finally, the dir in question:
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 media media 3 Mar 25 07:06 .
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 media media 4 Mar 25 00:23 ..
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 media media 21 Mar 25 07:04 FOLDER OF DOWNLOAD
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 media media 20000000 Mar 25 06:46 PART OF DOWNLOAD.rar
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 media media 20000000 Mar 25 06:49 ANOTHER PART OF DOWNLOAD.rar

My question is, if all seems to be working now, why is sabnzb still logging all those errors? i.e. for this example above it was downloading two episodes and logged 20 errors about permissions yet still downloaded and processed both episodes. I believe the permissions in freenas and the jails are good, could this be a plugin problem (sabnzbd)?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If only unix permissions mattered things would work as expected. But you have windows ACLs enabled for those files. I can't help you further with that.

dedeaux

Dabbler
alrighty then... would you suggest I remove the smb share I have on the media dataset? Would that clear up/help this issue? What would need to be done to the share in regards to permissions to remove the windows/smb permissions?

BTW, how can you tell from the info I give that the referenced windows ACLs are enabled?

What type of share would be best, NFS? I mainly access from MacOS and Android machines, and don't need any shares for the single Windows machine my kids use.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I believe having a CIFS share and having windows ACLs are mutually exclusive. I have a CIFS shares in my relatives system's and have never enabled windows ACLs.
You usually enable this on your dataset, and it's probably recursive so you might have enabled it and the dataset you're using inherited it.

The "+" at the end of the permission levels
In my network my HTPC / webserver access my NAS with NFS. If I access files I use SFTP. If I needed something "easy" I'd probably use CIFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.