Step-by-Step MySQL Setup on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The__Tick

Cadet
So Ultimately what I am trying to do is to setup a Kodi client frontend with a MySQL db in the backend I've been looking all over the internet for a good step-by-step guide on how to achieve this but I always end up at the wikipage for Kodi and yes it shows how to set it up but only if you have the MySQL pkg as well as the nano pkg. If someone can at least point me in the right direction from A to Z how to achieve my goal I would appreciate it. From setting up the jail for the pkg to finding/creating the pkg to installing the pkg I would appreciate it.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

The__Tick

Cadet
OK i guess I was confused with the whole FreeBSD and FreeNAS I didn't think they were essentially the same thing.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes they are the same. Just make sure you're doing this in a jail not on the main system.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
OK i guess I was confused with the whole FreeBSD and FreeNAS I didn't think they were essentially the same thing.
A jail is a FreeBSD jail. Find a tutorial on FreeBSD with whatever software you want to configure.

Nick2253

Wizard
Some food for thought:

While this does not directly answer your question, Plex with the PleXBMC plugin might work better for you, and then you wouldn't have to deal with the manual database setup. PleXBMC lets you take advantage of the Kodi front end, while having the more robust Plex backend. It's what I use at home for my media center, and it's really fantastic. Plus, Plex makes it easy to access my content on other machines that don't need the full capability of XBMC.

The__Tick

Cadet
Maybe that's what I want because I love the gui interface plus flexibility that kodi offers plus way easier to add other repositories in kodi. The question I have with plexbmc is can I group movies together within plexbmc?

Some food for thought:

While this does not directly answer your question, Plex with the PleXBMC plugin might work better for you, and then you wouldn't have to deal with the manual database setup. PleXBMC lets you take advantage of the Kodi front end, while having the more robust Plex backend. It's what I use at home for my media center, and it's really fantastic. Plus, Plex makes it easy to access my content on other machines that don't need the full capability of XBMC.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

bestboy

Contributor
Maybe that's what I want because I love the gui interface plus flexibility that kodi offers plus way easier to add other repositories in kodi. The question I have with plexbmc is can I group movies together within plexbmc?

I've been using Plex and the similar Emby. I do not recall if Plex can group movies (it probably can as this is pretty basic stuff), but I can tell that Emby can do it for sure.

Both solutions work great BTW. If I'd compare them, here are the pros and cons from my personal point of view:

Plex:
+ faster for some usecases (e.g. video startup in external players, library scans)
+ available as FreeNAS plugin
- user management via online accounts
- pleXBMC Kodi plugin sucks a bit (not so well integrated, relies on Skin "Amber")

Emby:
+ open source
+ user and device management
+ superb and seamless Kodi integration (uses Kodi's internal database, can be used with any Kodi Skin)
+ cool path substitution feature that lets clients "direct stream" files via SMB
+ live TV support
- not so fast and streamlined as Plex yet (but getting there)

Edit: just noticed that Emby is also available as a FreeNAS plugin

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
The question I have with plexbmc is can I group movies together within plexbmc?

When you say group, do you mean like "collections"?

Plex supports collections, but probably not in the way you want (at least, it doesn't do it the way I want). You can add movies to a collection, and display a collection view, which shows all the collections, but when you browse "All Movies", then it doesn't show you your collections (whereas Kodi shows you your collections in the all movies view). The way around it (what I do) is use the sort keys to sort the movies based on the collection. For example, for all the Marvel Movies, I use the sort key "Marvel 1", "Marvel 2", etc, which means they all show up together when I'm viewing the main movie list, but they are listed individually.

(Believe it or not, this has been a feature request on the Plex forums for over 5 years! While they have a great product, the Plex team's interaction with their userbase leaves something to be desired.)

I've been using Plex and the similar Emby. I do not recall if Plex can group movies (it probably can as this is pretty basic stuff), but I can tell that Emby can do it for sure.

Both solutions work great BTW.

I'm going to have to look in to Emby. One of my biggest complaints with Plex is that it is not open source, but its feature-set far surpasses Kodi when it comes to multiple-device/multiple-user streaming. Emby looks like it might be a suitable open source contender. Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.