Starting over afresh - how to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim1962

Patron
I've used Freenas for 6-9m now and like it a lot. However I'm nearly a noob and have probably messed up permissions etc as I've played around learnt etc etc. What I'd like to consider is how to start over afresh thereby clearing out any left-over errors that might be lying around.

Freenas 9.3 on USB stick in HP Microserver with 3*2Tb Disks, with about 2Tb data. (Home file server and backup/archive server)

I'd rather (but will if needed) not copy all the data across the network and back again. Any advice on the best/minimum method of doing this? If I install configure a new version of Freenas on a new USB stick will that achieve what I want?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'd rather (but will if needed) not copy all the data across the network and back again.
Perhaps starting over would be a learning exercise for you, not a bad thing really.
What I'd like to consider is how to start over afresh thereby clearing out any left-over errors that might be lying around.
You might post those errors so members may view them and consider how serious they might be.

Tell us about your hardware/system specs, that too would be a great help!
What has happened that you now feel the possible need to "start over"?
Provide the bare minimum of information and receive the bare minimum of assistance, provide alot of
detail and receive alot of help

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks BigDave

Bad terminology. No errors as such and no problems with FN. More I've tended to run everything as root, CHMOD 777 etc. as I've learnt FN and Linux. I don't think that particularly matters for most things as its a home server behind a Smoothwall firewall. I can't really tell you want specifically bothers me, but just I suspect it would be nice to achieve a clean re-install, perhaps my windows heritage! Reinstall windows XP afresh every 6months to keep it running reasonably smoothly :smile:

I suppose I'm bored and wondering if it is worth the learning exercise and fun.

One thing I've never really "got" are volumes/pools/datasets but thats a question of studying the docs rather than asking here.

Lets get specific...

If I get a new USB drive with FN loaded then follow the "upgrade" path and import my current physical Hard Drives, will that give me a system where file permissions are reset or will any permissions settings remain after the upgrade (I fear it will, therefore for the sake of "cleansing" will defeat the purpose...)

I've tried it, played, decided I'll keep FN for the long term and now want to approach it second time round with a more considered approach... a bit closer to best practice.

Hopefully a bit closer to more details/specific question. Thanks

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
If I get a new USB drive with FN loaded then follow the "upgrade" path and import my current physical Hard Drives, will that give me a system where file permissions are reset or will any permissions settings remain after the upgrade (I fear it will, therefore for the sake of "cleansing" will defeat the purpose...)
permission settings and more will not be carried over with a fresh install (NOT AN UPDATE). But this is easy, just save your configuration
file before making changes. There is also an ability to import a previous configuration (from your saved file) and simply carry on as before.
BUT, if the config file you save is messed up (e.g. permissions) then it's best to RE-configure from scratch.
Permissions are a bitch for noobs, best to spend some time with the manual and keep it simple as possible for home use.
e.g. my setup is one user (guest) for I have everything locked down ( I must change permissions to do ANYTHING but read files) ;)

edit: Spelling corrections

Tim1962

Patron
Brill, so to clarify (no need to respond if I get it right ;-) ) get a new stick with FN. Fresh install onto machine. Add users etc. Import the current disks back to the clean install and the data will be there but with vanilla permissions etc. Move files to where I want them. Good to go.

Before doing so read up on vols/datasets/pools !

Complete Noob -> Noob.

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your file permissions will not be reset but your users and shares will be reset.

You can clean up file permissions by using the check box under the cifs share settings.

Tim1962

Patron
Mmmm,

Thats interesting... Doing the checkbox under CIFs share seems to have fixed one or two frustrations. Maybe I might delay Armageddon... shame I was looking forward to starting over. Many thanks both.

Status
Not open for further replies.