Staging data to rebuild main pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Bruns

Dabbler
So I have a 5x6TB Z2 pool working well. It's currently about 40% full and just a few weeks old. However, I now have a 6th 6TB drive and I want to rebuild the pool to a 6x6TB Z2. Yes, I know I should have added the 6th before I built the pool, but hindsight is 20/20.

I have a similar but smaller server with 4 SATA ports, plus a hodge-podge of smaller 1TB and 2TB drives. After I copied the data from the small drives to my new server, I ran the burn-in scripts and while the smaller disks are 2-4 years old, I know they are solid. I eliminated any questionable disks that failed burn-in.

=====================================

Currently, my plan is to:

1) On my primary server move the data into 2TB and 1TB datasets, using standard unix 'mv" commands
2) Create mirrored volumes on my staging server
3) Snapshot & replicate the datasets to the mirrored volumes on the staging server in the 2TB and 1TB chunks
4) Repeat #3 until I have replicated the big pool to the mirrored drives. I'll be rebooting my staging server multiple times and I know FreeNAS will complain about missing disks as I swap-out the disk in the mirrored pairs.
5) Take a special (oh-s**t) backup of the real critical data to a 2TB external USB drive
6) Delete the volume on the primary server, and recreate with the all 6 drives.
7) Reverse the process to replicate the mirrored volumes to the new primary server.

=======================================

Is there anything else I'm missing or a way to more simply stage the data to add the 6th disk in my primary pool? I thought that zfs dataset replication would be simpler and quicker than rsync or other methods.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Mike Bruns

Dabbler
Thanks! Looks like we're thinking the same way.

From a performance side, I would think that ZFS replication may be faster than RSYNC, as it's working at block level. Where rsync is working at a file level. I have 12 gig of data, so I should be able to move the data to staging, add the drive to primary, recreate primary, then move the data back, in a weekend.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I know FreeNAS will complain about missing disks as I swap-out the disk in the mirrored pairs.
If you export each pools before removal (Detach Volume in the GUI), you shouldn't get any complaints about missing disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.