Stage 3- Installing FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue1248

Dabbler
Hello community,

I am having trouble getting past the FreeNAS Installer.

I have completed building my server and it has past POST. No hard drives are installed yet.

I downloaded FreeNAS-Corral-10.0.2.iso and installed it on a USB2.0 Memory Stick using Rufus. (the windows usb/dvd download tool would not recognise the iso file)

I booted up and was greeted with the Grub Menu as seen here http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/install.html#performing-the-installation.

I selected the only option FreeNAS Installer. (Yes, I have two other USB2.0 sticks plugged in also)

Instead of getting the Console Setup, I got a page of word salad as seen in attached photo.

Any ideas?

Thank you
IMG_0261aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
IMG_0261aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

---edit---
my original build thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/stage-1-proposed-build.51240/

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The garbled characters suggest memory problems.

blue1248

Dabbler
Hello and thankyou for your reply wblock,

Oh, bugger. Ok, I'll start simple first. Remove, swap and reseat and see what happens. I'll do it on the weekend when I get back home.

Thanks for the advice.

blue1248

Dabbler
Thanks skek for the link. I will try that on the weekend when I return home. I'll post here and advise on progress and solutions if any

blue1248

Dabbler
Hello community,

I have undertaken the following steps to resolve my issue with this build...

1. I removed my two RAM sticks, double checked model no's, swapped them around and then re-installed

2. I downloaded the memtest86 program and ran it by creating a boot USB. I let this run overnight. It ran for almost 7.5 hours, 3 Passes, 6 Iterations, 0 Errors. It did find all 16GB of RAM. Disclaimer... I only used the free version, so there was no ECC Testing.

3. I then attached the USB2.0 stick with the installer. After bootup, it showed "Grub Loading", then "Welcome to Grub!". This just on two lines, top left of screen, rest of screen blank. And it just did nothing for about 20 minutes, so I shutdown.

4. I downloaded FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2.iso, and tried with that version. No problems. Selected Install/Upgrade from the Console menu, and it saw my two attached USB sticks. Seems to be working fine with that version, so I shut down.

5. I ran Rufus to re-install the Corral iso file on the USB stick. Instead of choosing to copy as .iso image, I selected copy as DD Image Mode.

6. It worked. I ran the Installer and it installed on the two USB's successfully in 775 seconds.

7. I rebooted and arrived at the unix prompt. It took quite a while to boot, but I assume this was because there were no LAN connections.

That is as far as I have got both with the reading of the manual and the build. I am yet to purchase the hard drives, which I will do Tuesday, all going well.

Two questions...
1. There seems to be no manual specific for Corral. Is it still safe to use the 9.10 documentation, understanding that screen layouts will be different?
2. I have my monitor plugged directly into the box for now, but it will run headless once hard disks are installed. No LAN connection yet. When I booted up the newly installed FreeNAS, I was expecting the GUI, but all I saw was a Unix command line. Couldn't figure out how to call up the GUI, or does this only appear on the IPMI remote connection?

Thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.