SSH setup for rsync PULL over SSH.

JFarmer

Cadet
Hello!

I'm a noob to TrueNAS, and I've been struggling to get rsync over ssh working properly for a while now. I want to backup my UnRAID server to TrueNAS so I have a redundant backup, as well as snapshots.

I've followed the information linked here to try to get SSH setup for unattended access to the UnRAID system, with no luck. I can't seem to find or create the correct SSH key for the root user, or any user for that matter, to allow for key-based auth.

To further explain my issue: I've tried creating keypairs through the GUI, as well as creating an "SSH Connection" through the GUI as well. I cannot find where those keypair files are being saved. These files are not showing up in ~/.ssh where I expect them to be.

I realized that the "Public Key" field in the root user edit menu is an echo of the authorized_keys file.

I have key-based auth working from my Windows PC to both my UnRAID box as well as my TrueNAS box.

Is this something that can be accomplished through the GUI, or am I better off doing it through CLI?

Thanks!

JFarmer

Cadet
I got it working from the instructions here. Turns out the easiest way to set it up is by creating a key pair through the command line. Once I did that, everything came right together.