SSH key authentication in TrueNAS 12 - Home directory permissions!

Palladio

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I want to set up password-less authentication from my Debian 10 client computer, to my TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1 server. I understand that TrueNAS requires setup via the WebGUI, not by adding the client's public key to the authorized_keys file on the server.

To set this up, do I simply copy the text from the client's id_rsa.pub key to the user on the server (both named "user" here)? Or, do I do this, then copy into the SSH Keypair and SSH Connection under System as well?

Thank you in advance.

Palladio

Cadet
SOLVED, it was really basic once I figured out where to look.

I got a daily email from my TrueNAS box stating "bad ownership or modes for directory /home/user/.ssh. "

It was incorrect permissions on my home share! From https://www.daveperrett.com/articles/2010/09/14/ssh-authentication-refused/:

"SSH doesn’t like it if your home or ~/.ssh directories have group write permissions. Your home directory should be writable only by you, ~/.ssh should be 700, and authorized_keys should be 600 :

> chmod g-w /home/your_user
> chmod 700 /home/your_user/.ssh
> chmod 600 /home/your_user/.ssh/authorized_keys

Once I fixed the permissions on my home share, I re-uploaded my public key via the browser under Users/user, and logged in password-less from my Debian client. FYI for anyone else who has this issue.

SOLVED, it was really basic once I figured out where to look.

I got a daily email from my TrueNAS box stating "bad ownership or modes for directory /home/user/.ssh. "

It was incorrect permissions on my home share! From https://www.daveperrett.com/articles/2010/09/14/ssh-authentication-refused/:

"SSH doesn’t like it if your home or ~/.ssh directories have group write permissions. Your home directory should be writable only by you, ~/.ssh should be 700, and authorized_keys should be 600 :

> chmod g-w /home/your_user
> chmod 700 /home/your_user/.ssh
> chmod 600 /home/your_user/.ssh/authorized_keys

Once I fixed the permissions on my home share, I re-uploaded my public key via the browser under Users/user, and logged in password-less from my Debian client. FYI for anyone else who has this issue.
what is g-w ? what permission right number is that?