SSH logon issue - was working!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddock

Cadet
Hi all,

Unusual situation here - my freenas box is in my mother in laws where I've just had someone visit to sort out her router ports and IP reservations so I can gain access.
All was well until I connected via SSH (cert + password - non root user) and then tried to sudo root (instead of su) and since exiting that session, I can no longer connect, receiving the error "server refused our key".
Is this something I need to fix via console locally? If so, I'm going to really struggle (as I am currently overseas and here for the foreseeable future!)

Appreciate any help, even if it's confirmation that the root account is now locked and you're stuck!

Thanks in advance for any info.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you seen the movie Skyscraper? The one thing that stood out to me was the cell phone scene and I knew it would come back later. Have you tried to have the server rebooted?

Sorry, i'm not a networking guy so that was the best advice I could provide at the time, but I'd assume that the system you setup, including the networking would survive a power outage and when you restored power it would all come up normal.

Well time to watch Antman & The Wasp.

Good Luck!

Appreciate any help, even if it's confirmation that the root account is now locked and you're stuck!

Any chance you could get them to connect to a webex/joinme kind of meeting? Then you could attempt to address the issue from inside the network by taking control of their machine. If not, you may be hosed. :-(

braddock

Cadet
Have you seen the movie Skyscraper? The one thing that stood out to me was the cell phone scene and I knew it would come back later. Have you tried to have the server rebooted?

Not seen Skyscraper but I have seen The Towering Inferno - no mobile phones there though.
Server has been rebooted but still getting the error and I'm not sure why (although it did happen the moment i messed up my commands and repeatedly tried the password, however, I did successfully switch user once I got the command right).

braddock

Cadet
Any chance you could get them to connect to a webex/joinme kind of meeting? Then you could attempt to address the issue from inside the network by taking control of their machine. If not, you may be hosed. :-(

Thanks, that is worth a try. I do have an account which will have permission to unlock (or whatever I need to do) the root account. Just need to get someone there with a laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.