SOLVED ssg-5029p-e1ctr12l-2u based NAS review request

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekopep

Dabbler
Hello, i'm new to freenas, got strong linux expertise, good freebsd knowledge (pfsense)

I would like to build a production server meant primary to store:
1/lot of data (multi TB wav files, sequencial access) (~20/30TB)
2/solidworks files (lot of small files with very low access time needed, to allow network work of 4 users) (~10GB?)
3/standard projects data (pdf, word) (~1TB)
All shared over SMB share with AD environment.

Optional:
3/A dedicated pool for ESXi to get all our data on one server
(This server will be duplicated to another site for backup/disaster recovery)

User environment:
Windows and Linux users

So far I've identified this device:
ssg-5029p-e1ctr12l-2u 1826€
9*8TB (276€ each) or 6*10TB(353.25€ each) Hgst He10 SAS/SATA 4K sector -> pool for main scenario (raidZ2)
Intel Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz 11Mo : 450€ HT (perhaps bronze enought?)
32Gb de ram : crucial RAM DDR4 PC4-19200 - CT32G4LFQ424A 32GB ECC registered DDR4 2666 400€

Here are my questions:
1/these disk can be either sata2 or sas3 for same price.
Is there any benefit of SAS over SATA provided you can't read them on another computer...
2/Is there any significant performance loss going to 9 disk over 6 disk (price will be lower and capacity higher, but limit 2nd pool)
3/is it necessary to invest in 64GB ecc ram system or more?
4/will a L2ARC based on half of a dcp3700 will improve perfs in read for solidworks files? (shared with ZIL in case of esxi scenarion, see below)

optional Esxi scenario:
intel-ssd-dcp3700-series-400gb / m2 format: 604€ HT (for esxi sync perfs)

5/What disk is better for this pool? (3 disks / probably raid Z1 if I go for 9x8TB for main pool)
a)SSD (297€ each) 1TB: https://www.amazon.fr/Samsung-MZ-75E250B-EU-Disque-interne/dp/B00P738MUU?th=1
b)15K disk (269.10€ each) 600GB : http://www.busiboutique.com/produit...15000rpm-huc156030css200-sas-512n-200711.html
c)no matter, with dcp3700, 7200K sas3 he10 disk are OK.

The esxi will host an AD controller (20GB), Linux server for jira and ci (20GB), TSE server (20GB), WSUS server (150GB), OnlyOffice (20GB) so probably 300GB. In theory the virtual machine should no do that much network access. (But who knows in the future).

6/Perhaps out of subject, is it better to go to esxi through freenas or run vm locally on my other server and veaam backup them to the standard pool? The idea there is to have all my data on a reliable server, duplicated on another site, so less hassle than having multiple server to backup. Also help in recovery if VM server dies, I got a second one so esxi would be faster to recover from.

Thanks for your help/review!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The esxi will host an AD controller (20GB), Linux server for jira and ci (20GB), TSE server (20GB), WSUS server (150GB), OnlyOffice (20GB) so probably 300GB. In theory the virtual machine should no do that much network access. (But who knows in the future).

6/Perhaps out of subject, is it better to go to esxi through freenas or run vm locally on my other server and veaam backup them to the standard pool? The idea there is to have all my data on a reliable server, duplicated on another site, so less hassle than having multiple server to backup. Also help in recovery if VM server dies, I got a second one so esxi would be faster to recover from.
You might want to review the build that @Stux did: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...node-304-x10sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/
He installed ESXi as the OS on the server and virtualized FreeNAS by passing the controller through.
That might be a possible answer to your question, but I would think you would want to use the SAS drives as they are typically more performant. Also, more drives typically gives more IOPS if you layout your zpool properly. I would not make two pools though, you should put all the drives in one pool and divide the storage up using datasets in FreeNAS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you a lot for the link :). It helps me a LOT!
Thanks for the thanks... :)
Did you click the link that says, 'Thanks'??

Status
Not open for further replies.