SSD via usb 3.0-SATA converter in raid array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Doe

Guru
Hi all,
unfortuneatly i have only 4 sata ports, which are already occupied by 4 hdd.
Now i would like to have some jails running, but dont want to have a permanent load on the drives.

instead of spending a lot of money in new hardware i was considering to go for 2 sata->usb 3.0 converter and 2 128gb ssd.

connect them on my 2 free usb 3.0 ports and put them into a mirrored raid.

any input like "DONT DO THAT!" ?

or will i go fine with this?

cpu j1900
16gb ram

Stux

MVP
Don't do that.

How To Fail method #4.

Why not add a PCIe SSD. Run ZFS on it if you want. It should have zero errors, but ZFS will catch them if it does. And then you can restore from a backup.

PCIe SSDs are the most performant storage anyway.

Alternatively add an HBA

nojohnny101

Wizard
don't do that (x2).

why do you not want to put your jails on your existing vdev?

to be honest with you, in my mind unless you have a good reason to need an SSD for your jails (VMs, etc.), just put your jails on your existing vdev.

I have 2-3 jails running on my raidz2 and I have never seen any performance bottlenecks (plex, plexpy, owncloud). You also have to take into account if you separate your jails onto an SSD, then those will not have any fault protection unless you get two SSDs and mirror then. Seems like a whole lot of cost and complexity for what purpose? Especially in your case where you don't have the sata ports and want to do it USB style (big no no).

Maybe you just haven't elaborated but do you have a particular reason you need an SSD for your jails?

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
So you want to take SSDs and hook them up to something that:
  1. Will make them slower
  2. Will obstruct SMART capabilities
  3. Is never recommended
I'm going to go out on a limb here and go with "NO"... :cool:

John Doe

Guru
haha okay, many thanks for this input. i will not go for this usb idea.

i will check for a pcie ssd. or go with new hardware

CraigD

Patron
Does your board have a free PCIe x1 slot?

You could put a cheap SATA card in it

I use the card linked in my signature, however it is on the marvell chipset
Have Fun

SFoskett

Dabbler
Don't use USB-connected external drives for active data.

I am sympathetic about wanting to put active data on SSD and let the hard disk drives spin down. I do that too. I have a pair of internal SSD's as my System Pool and landing zone for active applications (and jails) and a pool on hard disk drives for archives, backups, and less-used data.

As mentioned, the best option is to upgrade the system: Add additional SATA ports using a PCIe card (like the Supermicro LSI 8-port SAS/SATA that's just $110 on NewEgg) and connect some SATA SSD's to that. Then you'll have 6 more ports left over for more disks (RAIDZ2?) in the future!

John Doe

Guru
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.