SQUID proxy server

Status
Not open for further replies.

balanga

Patron
I am interested in setting up a SQUID proxy server when I eventually get FreeNAS up and running.

Would it be possible to install an SSD drive for the purposes of speeding up the cache?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am interested in setting up a SQUID proxy server when I eventually get FreeNAS up and running.

Would it be possible to install an SSD drive for the purposes of speeding up the cache?
You're barking up the wrong tree. FreeNAS is totally inappropriate for this sort of task. You should look into either (1) vanilla FreeBSD or (2) setting up a separate computer as a dedicated pfsense firewall.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, this falls into your other thread @balanga. FreeNAS just doesn't fit for much beyond a file server, except that with which you can shove into a jail.

no_connection

Patron
I don't see why it would be a bad idea to shove squid into a Jail. Or better yet, a plugin.
The server already (should)have plenty of RAM, and SSD or normal pool for extra cache.

A pfSense box usually lacks both.

*edit* SQUID is already available as a PC-BSD PBI so it might not be *that* hard to package properly for someone that knows how.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't see why it would be a bad idea to shove squid into a Jail. Or better yet, a plugin.
The server already (should)have plenty of RAM, and SSD or normal pool for extra cache.

A pfSense box usually lacks both.

*edit* SQUID is already available as a PC-BSD PBI so it might not be *that* hard to package properly for someone that knows how.
It's certainly possible to do that. I kinda' do that, too. But for my purposes (I assume yours as well), an SSD is pointless cause the bottleneck is the network anyway (Hint: 1 Gbps link is like 1/6 of a high end SSD throughput).

On your second point, a poor man's PFSense box maybe... a REAL PFSense box is a rackmount that usually has loads of RAM, especially if it runs a huge state table.

In an environment where you would actually need SSD's, chances are you probably wouldn't be using FreeNAS anyway. You'd have a dedicated box running vanilla *BSD or *Linux.

Last edited:

no_connection

Patron
SSD would not be for throughput but to minimize IOPS to the pool if desired, and minimize latency. Not really needed for home use though I agree.
If you have a big pfSense box that is unused then use that. If you needed that box in the first place you should probably build a dedicated squid cache box to be able to keep up.

For home use or small company a small router box or VM would most likely not have the RAM to use squid, but your FN box would.
The use would most likely be to add a cache *for free* as you already have the hardware that is idle for most of the time anyway. Maybe an extra stick of RAM but that is still cheaper than building a dedicated box.

Last time I tried squid was with untangle. I had to stop using it as it broke some sites, content didn't update and so on. Might be better now. But unless a plugin is made it would be too much work to get running for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.