SQL Backup "I/O device error" over iSCSI

SQL_IO

Cadet
Dell R210 ii, 16gb RAM. Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz , 2x WD Red 8TB , TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1, boot drive is a USB (SSD is arriving today).

Dell software RAID is not configured, TrueNAS is mirroring the drives.

iSCSI is configured as 1mb blocks, no compression, no dedup. Changing from the default block size did seem to improve the situation.

I've run SMART on the drives, no errors reported. Drives are 1-2 weeks old.

I recognize that the USB boot is not recommended, but would that cause this particular issue? I did have mirrored boot drives but one of them failed.

In the last two weeks I've upgraded from 11.3, replaced the drives with larger ones, and replaced both USB boot drives. I had no issues until recently - I ran 11.3 and 4TB drives for about 3 months with no issues prior - to changing stuff around... But with so many variables changed I can't say with certainty which one caused the issues. I'm considering rolling back to 11.3.

Sometimes while navigating the drive in windows, explorer will hang or even crash entirely... Since everything was running so smoothly for months I had not actually logged in to the windows server hosting the iscsi share so I can't say if that was normal behavior or not...