Spending too much, need tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjain

Dabbler
So guess what, Amazon.co.uk has 20% discount on open boxes.

I already cancelled an order of £299 (was +20% more) of RDIMM RAM (4x8GB) Crucial - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-32GB-CL15-Memory-Module/dp/B00NARQFD6 - Should be back soon.

I saw a Intel 750 consumer 1,2TB beast SSD and I ordered a DC3500, but I feel I should cancel that order too, even if it was only 288/1.2=£240, less than most list prices, but as a SLOG it doesn't seem so great.

JE3QuIk.png

Other recommendations of what to cancel would be welcome too. Another 20% should be subtracted from the prices listed above.

The Sandisk I'll try to create a bootable Windows out of, I've had few moments this year that running Windows on a host (obviously temporarily), would've been nice. If it's slow, I'll get a cheap SSD instead. Having a portable Windows to boot into could be handy a few times a year, maybe even for firmware and bios updates.

I'd like to place a switch in my rack with at least 4/6 SFP+ ports that allows all servers to talk to each other over 10Gbit via a switch. Fortunately the number of servers is low and I'm sure it will stay that way, so DAS cables could be fine for a while.

I'm happy I lost that of that discounted Surface laptop as my mom wanted one.

gpsguy

Skip the furniture and iPad and you'll have more money for your FreeNAS server. :smile:

Stux

MVP
The ASUS X99 deluxe is not the greatest choice for a FreeNAS motherboard... if that's what its for.

Inxsible

Guru
Play the long game. I know when you are first building something, you want to build it right from the get go. But avoid it because it can get expensive fast !

Build only what you need now...keeping options open for upgrades as required.

Status
Not open for further replies.