Rikkard

Dabbler
Connecting linux machine to freenas.

Freenas 1220v3, supermicro x10, 32GB ram
Laptop lenovo T400, ubuntu

Switch/router Technicolor TG799vn v2

Prot. CIFS

Speed to server ~60 MB/s

New server, copy media library to server and thats the speed I see.

Isn't this pretty good? Are there any possibilities to get more speed between laptop and freenas, I assume the TG799 is a bottleneck, but I'm not sure a faster switch would improve the speed? Been reading on the forum laptop transfers is slower but I'm not sure how close to maximum I am with my T400 right know.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hard to say. If the laptop has Realtek GbE, you might get values like those you have.

Most people saturate GbE under typical office conditions (Intel GbE and Cat 6 cabling) without the server breaking a sweat. Your values are rather low for such a scenario.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are you using wireless? If so then that is your bottleneck.

You can start looking at performance be testing your pool speed then your network speed then the speed of your client computer.

mjws00

Guru
Could easily be the laptop drive as well depending on model. I'd expect the new x10 to just work and saturate 1Gb easily. If the switch will do 60MBs it will likely do 113. But feel free to run a direct cable and rule it out. So you have a nice laundry list. But verify the client is capable before worrying about the new fast box and switch imho.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I tested CIFS transfer speeds between my FreeNAS and Windows machine on a 183GB file, rebooting both machines between the transfers to wipe out any cache data. Transfer from the FreeNAS -> Windows ~85MB/sec (9.2.1.8 was ~75MB/sec), Windows -> FreeNAS ~105MB/sec (9.2.1.8 was ~ 105MB/Sec). I conducted the test twice to confirm the readings and I have one 8 port gigabit network switch between the two systems. I have no updated my pool to the new features either, I'll wait for that.

Pharfar

Dabbler
CIFS basically sux. Major transfers are a pain. If you need to tranfer large amounts of data, use something else. My ZFS send / receive is approx. 120 MB/sec, which is almost equal to NFS. CIFS is lower, I have peaks @ 55 MB/sec.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Wish my Windoze 7 Pro supported NFS but it doesn't and I'm not paying any more to MS just to get one protocol. They use to include it in Pro but now it's gone.

Rikkard

Dabbler
Okej, new test. transfered movies from stationary old P4. 211,3 GB, cifs, 110 MB/s. I have cat6 cables, the long ones, and short patch cables (cat 5) between switch and freenas. So something is bad with my laptop, will try to solve later. Will try nfs also. Se if there is any difference. And then do direct connection.

In laptop I have a intel nic, Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network. Will search and see if I can find anything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the laptop's NIC shouldn't be giving you any trouble, since it's Intel...

Rikkard

Dabbler
This was strange. Tried to mount cifs share on client (linux) with mount eg
sudo mount -t cifs //sdfsdfsdfsfsf

Now I got 116MB/s compared with 60MB/s whn mounting with gvfs (nautilus).

Apparently mounting with gvfs, nautilus has some kind of bug or something.

Rikkard

Dabbler
This has nothing to do with freenas so will continue at some other forum how to find a solution for gvfs-mount, or atleast understand why this is so

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Im just brainstorming here but I think nautilus uses smbd client and that uses smbv1

Status
Not open for further replies.