Speed of rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Kellogg

Dabbler
I recently build a new freenas device with Asrock c2750d4i 8 core 2.4 GHz motherboard, and 4x4TB WD red disks. I use it not as a main storage device, but as a backup device. So I use deltacopy on my PC, and rsync tasks on the freenas server to periodically pull files to the freenas. All devices are connected via gig ethernet. I use 3 disks in a mirror, with the 4th as a spare. I know this will seem very wasteful to some, but it provide a high degree of redundancy.

I was doing some testing, and I simulated a disk failure by taking 1 disk offline, and replacing it with the spare disk. The disk write speed during the resilver was an impressive 120 MByte/sec. I then did a read test by copying a directory from the freenas to a PC and it was 20-30 Mbyte/sec.

Finally, I moved big file into the PC directory that was being backed up by the freenas, and the transfer rate to the freenas (while backing up) was only 6 Mbyte/sec. My PC is an i3 with 2 cores at 2.4GHz. The CPU load on the freenas was less than 2% and the disks were barely active. Is that the rate what I should expect?

D

dlavigne

Rsync isn't designed for speed... What NIC driver is the system using (from ifconfig)?

Status
Not open for further replies.