Source for Supermicro SUP (IPMI) License Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgileLogic

Dabbler
I'm trying to purchase a Supermicro Update Manager (SUP) license key so I can do BIOS updates remotely and such. The part number for this key is SFT-OOB-LIC.

I'm not having any luck contacting Supermicro. The website says I need to either have a customer account with them, or go through a reseller. The sales person I talked to said I need to buy in bulk to be a direct Supermicro customer. They list a bunch of resellers on their site, so that seems my option.

Before I start cold-calling all the resellers, does anyone have someone they have purchased the key from already, that knows how to do it, and is fine with selling a key to someone who bought the board elsewhere?

Or perhaps someone who knows a path through Supermicro to purchase a key directly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Many of the Supermicro resellers sell them. Try CDW or WiredZone.

Be aware, these things actually require some interaction. The license key is keyed off the BMC MAC address, so there's a few steps to actually getting your order handled.

AgileLogic

Dabbler
Thanks.

I was warned off CDW. They list the part number, and will let it get put it in the cart and paid for. But I was told they don't collect the MAC with the order, never follow up for it, and don't know what to do when the customer contacts them about it. So the order sits unprocessed until the customer cancels it. Maybe someone at CDW know what to do, but it's a large org to try and hunt them down.

WiredZone is not listed as a reseller on Supermicro's site, so I'd be worried if they know what to do, and if they are actually authorized to get a key from Supermicro.

My understanding is that reseller collects the MAC from me and passes it on to Supermicro, Supermicro generates the license key and passes it back to the reseller, and then I get the key from the reseller.

I was hoping to find someone that has successfully navigated that with a reseller?

AgileLogic

Dabbler
Meant to follow up sooner, but in case anyone searches for this topic like I originally did...

I had called a few Supermicro authorized resellers, and Aspen Systems in Colorado USA (800-992-9242) knew exactly what I was asking for and can sell me the license key. So, that's one source.

But just to give it a shot and see what would happen, I submitted a "Request for Evaluation Software" via this Supermicro page: https://www.supermicro.com/solutions/SMS_SUM.cfm . Fill in your name, company name, contact email. It takes you to a form page, where it asks for sales contact, mainboard model and BMC MAC address.

Since I didn't have a Supermicro sales contact, I just put in "Newegg" where I purchased the board from along with board's model and the BMC MAC.

I got an email back within a few days from a Supermicro rep asking how many servers I wanted to manage. For me it was just the one, so I replied back saying we were building the first Supermicro server for our office.

He then responded back with a product key, and the authorization code for the download came in a separate automated email.

At that same SUM page as above, there is another link to "Download Software". Use that link with the provided authorization key to download. Then when installing and firing it up, use the product key provided. I haven't gotten the system fully built to try it out, so a caveat that I don't know if the "evaluation" key expires at some point or not.

I suspect if I was managing multiple servers, they might want me to set up an account with them or an authorized rep and pay for licensing the SUM tool, but it seems for a one-off they are willing to just provide a key at no charge.

Hope that helps someone.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks.

I was warned off CDW. They list the part number, and will let it get put it in the cart and paid for. But I was told they don't collect the MAC with the order, never follow up for it, and don't know what to do when the customer contacts them about it. So the order sits unprocessed until the customer cancels it. Maybe someone at CDW know what to do, but it's a large org to try and hunt them down.

You have to lay in to your sales rep. They'll get it for you.

WiredZone is not listed as a reseller on Supermicro's site, so I'd be worried if they know what to do, and if they are actually authorized to get a key from Supermicro.

That's odd, you might want to mention that to Supermicro, perhaps there's a problem with Supermicro's CDN. WiredZone is definitely listed from this part of the 'net.

http://www.supermicro.com/wheretobuy/namerica.cfm?rgn=101

My understanding is that reseller collects the MAC from me and passes it on to Supermicro, Supermicro generates the license key and passes it back to the reseller, and then I get the key from the reseller.

I was hoping to find someone that has successfully navigated that with a reseller?

Yes, that's the process, because the key is just some sort of crypto hash that enables it based on the BMC MAC.

QueBall

Cadet
Just bought 2 keys from wiredzone.com. They got me the keys same day. Just had to email them the order number and BMC Mac address after placing the order.

There was even a small problem with the product page on their website charging shipping and they fixed it quickly so I could place the order online.

So I would say they can handle these no problem

Product page:
http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-software-management-sft-oob-lic-10024441

TXAG26

Patron
Just bought 2 keys from wiredzone.com. They got me the keys same day. Just had to email them the order number and BMC Mac address after placing the order.

Product page:
http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-software-management-sft-oob-lic-10024441

I just placed the exact same order last week and immediately sent in an e-mail with the BCM MAC's and had the keys later that same day. Wiredzone is awesome to work with. CDW screwed me around for 2 months awhile back trying to get license keys. I had e-mails from 7-8 people by the time it was all said and done. Go with Wiredzone for everything Supermicro. They're my go-to retailer for server equipment.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

A. Schmidt

Cadet

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I heard you could do like this. Maybe someone can try it?
I hearby volunteer YOU! Let us know how it works out for you.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.