Sonarr + Jackett guide (better than the broken SickRage)

Chris230291

Patron
Sickrage seems to be dead, people have been talking about SickChill but I had no luck with it.

Sonarr sucks... Untill you add Jackett... Then it works way better than Sickrage ever did... For me at least.

1. Install the Sonarr plugin

2. Inside the Sonarr jail run
Code:
pkg install -y jackett
pkg upgrade
sysrc jackett_enable=YES
service jackett start

3. Go to http://<jail IP>:9117

4. Add any indexers that you want and modify any URLs on ones that failed the "test" to proxy URLs that are not blocked in your region.

5. In Sonarr settings > indexers add a new "Torznab" custom indexer and fill out...

- Name (called mine "Jackett")
- URL "http://<jail IP>:9117"
- API Path "/torznab/all/api"
- API key (found in Jackett)
- I added "5000" to the catagories

DONE!

For me its working better than Sickrage ever did, finding episodes quickly and ones that Sickrage never found in all the years I had been running it.

Chris

NotMyName

Cadet
Hey Chris

I'm just getting into automation and totally agree with you.

The only problem is that I can't install jackett as it reporting as not found in the repository and I'm not sure if this is caused by the fact that I'm on 11.2-RC2

Any ideas?

Thanks.

gt2416

Patron
^ Thats very strange and should not be happening, please post the output of pkg install jackett

NotMyName

Cadet
Please see the screenshot attached.
Jail had been created based on 11.2-RELEASE-p4 image

upload_2018-11-29_18-45-2.png

Chris230291

Patron
Sorry not sure I'm not a expert. I basically just merged all the info I found through google into a single guide.

NotMyName

Cadet
Well now, I think I'm out of this topic completely,

I've just tried a few more things and got below output. I think I have broken repository in Freenas after update to the latest RC.

upload_2018-11-29_21-44-15.png

upload_2018-11-29_21-44-29.png

gt2416

Patron
No No you didnt break anything !! You are using pkg install as FREENAS root. That is not permitted. You cannot modify FreeNAS itself.
But that only explains the last screenshot.
I can see that inside your jackett jail you cant find git or php.... strange, ill do some tests and get back to you. Maybe you should open another thread cause this is definitely beyond the scope of this topic.

Last edited:

HRS

Dabbler
Hey Chris

I'm just getting into automation and totally agree with you.

The only problem is that I can't install jackett as it reporting as not found in the repository and I'm not sure if this is caused by the fact that I'm on 11.2-RC2

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Perhaps the problem is with the jail type.
The plugins are created in a "pluginv2" jail type, and in these jails the command "pkg install jackett" reports that the package is not found.
If you create a new jail, of type "jail", you'll see the pkg command completes successfully.

I don't know if it is possible to install in the 'plugin' jail, but considering the low overhead of jails it seems to be better (maintenance wise) to separate the different programs to different jails

drinking12many

Contributor
If anyone else sees this thread you have to change a file for most plugins to get other packages. /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/Freebsd.conf change no to yes in the file. That will allow it to find packages on the internet.

jsdarcy

Cadet
thank you for this.
my torrent searches have improved a great deal.
I am trying to work out a few quirks and hope you may have some advice.

The jackett version running on my system is v0.11.15.0
At the bottom of the web interface it says " this is very old and will cause errors with the indexers"
The rarbg indexer does error in sonarr and I have to "test" the rarbg config to clear it.

Under Jackett Configuration on the jackett management url, I am unable to "apply server settings", "view log" or "check for update".
Each gives a similar "server error".
I tried pkg upgrade but it responded that everything is up to date.
could this be some king of permission error?

not being able to see the logs is slowing my limited skills to a standstill in figuring this out.
I am not very experienced with linux/freenas/plex/sonarr/jackett etc so forgive me if I ask a novice question.

drinking12many

Contributor
That gets a little tougher. Look into portsnap you have to fetch and extract the package. Then you can use make pkg. To create a package to upgrade it. I run my portsnap in it's own jail mostly just to get more up to date packages and then move them to the jail I need them.

Vitz

Dabbler
After combining some methods I managed to get it working on a pluginv2 jail. As drinking12many said, you'll need to use portsnap for this.

After installing Sonarr, go to its shell (NOT the regular FreeNAS shell) and run:

Code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /use/ports/net-p2p/jackett/ && make clean install
sysrc jackett_enable=YES
service jackett start

This is essentially an updated way of doing step 2 of OP's guide. The rest is the same so after this, simply go to step 3 of their guide and it should all work out just fine.

appliance

Explorer
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /use/ports/net-p2p/jackett/ && make clean install
sysrc jackett_enable=YES
service jackett start
this installed same old disfunctional package. what are the steps in december?
===> Fetching all distfiles required by jackett-0.11.496 for building

so i found these steps, working well:

but still throwing the same microsoft errors:
2019-12-07 19:37:42.8426 Warn Connection processing ended abnormally. System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Invalid arguments
and no connection to port 9117
also tried in another jail, and a separate jail (instructions), not good.

-> i guess i switch to cp and sickchill, can't really spend a week per plugin. https not working out of the box for anything. also mono hogs cpu, so i need to ban mono completely.

-> secured couchpotato,sickchill,sonarr,radarr with http via automated script. nice to see it in paid nzb app on android when outside.
regarding Jackett:
- doesn't work on sonarr
- doesn't work from couchpotato (very obsolete,this platform cannot be used)
- doesn't work with sickchill with a difficult indexer (yet another marathon of debugging, the scripts they got are far from working)
- alternatives not viable
back to sonarr, and radarr with jacket running from PC (after yet another debugging night). very nice to finally get some search results.. will restart monos on daily basis.

Last edited:

Daniyal

Dabbler
Sickrage seems to be dead, people have been talking about SickChill but I had no luck with it.

Sonarr sucks... Untill you add Jackett... Then it works way better than Sickrage ever did... For me at least.

1. Install the Sonarr plugin

2. Inside the Sonarr jail run
Code:
pkg install -y jackett
pkg upgrade
sysrc jackett_enable=YES
service jackett start

3. Go to http://<jail IP>:9117

4. Add any indexers that you want and modify any URLs on ones that failed the "test" to proxy URLs that are not blocked in your region.

5. In Sonarr settings > indexers add a new "Torznab" custom indexer and fill out...

- Name (called mine "Jackett")
- URL "http://<jail IP>:9117"
- API Path "/torznab/all/api"
- API key (found in Jackett)
- I added "5000" to the catagories

DONE!

For me its working better than Sickrage ever did, finding episodes quickly and ones that Sickrage never found in all the years I had been running it.

Chris

You can't do this inside sonarr's jail as FreeNAS will not let you install multiple packages under one jail. You will need to add/create a jail for jackett and the run these commands.

drinking12many

Contributor
You can't do this inside sonarr's jail as FreeNAS will not let you install multiple packages under one jail. You will need to add/create a jail for jackett and the run these commands.

You can if you build your own jail and not using a pre-built plugin. I personally run mine separate since sonarr and lidarr also use my jackett install but you dont have too. You can force a plug-in to let you too but you have to change a conf file for pkg to make it work.

appliance

Explorer
you can.. i had all downloaders and jackett under e.g. sonarr plus with auto deployment of certificates so everything was HTTPS under single jail.

paradoxiom

Patron
I seem to have jackett connected to my sonarr jail fine, but it says:

Invalid request Validation failed:
-- No results were returned from your indexer, please check your settings.

I have a simple rarbg indexer added to jackett which tests fine in jackett, am I missing something?

Also jackett keeps complaining that it is out of date, when I try to update it I get:

Code:
Error performing update. System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/usr/local/share/jackett/.lock" is denied.
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x0019e] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
  at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) [0x00000] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at Jackett.Common.Services.UpdateService.StartUpdate (System.String updaterExePath, System.String installLocation, System.Boolean isWindows, System.Boolean noRestart, System.Boolean trayIsRunning) [0x001ff] in <b2906bdf44a64e558eded4f5a491a59a>:0
  at Jackett.Common.Services.UpdateService+<CheckForUpdates>d__15.MoveNext () [0x0037c] in <b2906bdf44a64e558eded4f5a491a59a>:0

I don't know why it doesn't have permissions, I created the jail and installed jackett, I've tried messing with the jail settings and giving it write / mount ability etc and still have this permission error - can someone point me in the direction I should be looking to fix this?

Thanks for the guide.

drinking12many

Contributor
Code:
Error performing update. System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/usr/local/share/jackett/.lock" is denied.
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x0019e] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
  at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) [0x00000] in <0e06830de9a44394a7e366951eabca52>:0
  at Jackett.Common.Services.UpdateService.StartUpdate (System.String updaterExePath, System.String installLocation, System.Boolean isWindows, System.Boolean noRestart, System.Boolean trayIsRunning) [0x001ff] in <b2906bdf44a64e558eded4f5a491a59a>:0
  at Jackett.Common.Services.UpdateService+<CheckForUpdates>d__15.MoveNext () [0x0037c] in <b2906bdf44a64e558eded4f5a491a59a>:0

I don't know why it doesn't have permissions, I created the jail and installed jackett, I've tried messing with the jail settings and giving it write / mount ability etc and still have this permission error - can someone point me in the direction I should be looking to fix this?

Thanks for the guide.

Did you create a separate Jackett user in the jail and what is the file ownership on the folder/files at /usr/local/share/jackett/ on mine the ownership is jackett:jackett the files underneath are also all owned by jackett:jackett and the perms are 644 and everything works. Also the version of mono can cause weird stuff for example on my sonarr/radarr I was having constant access denied issues with the 2.X versions after upgrading my mono to 6.4 I changed every permission known to man, but it worked before I upgraded to 6.4 to handle files etc. Both could create folders, rename files etc but not move files over.... upgraded both sonarr/radarr to their 3.x versions in beta and both started working again just fine.

marcevan

Patron
Tried OP Post and no matter what URL I copy from I get: Unable to connect to indexer, check the log for more details on the Sonarr side.

I went to the other link (where it explained to delete a cert - did that then came back and did cert sync, restarted the jail, etc).

Last edited: