SOLVED Socket is not connected, Can't contact LDAP server

wraith

Contributor
Hi,

I've recently been attempting to attach my FreeNAS server to my Windows domain. The primary reason to allow permissions for my family from any computer.
While setting up Active Directory I started getting the following error:
Code:
 Socket is not connected, Can't contact LDAP server 

Under the Domain Controller section the following warning is on screen:
Code:
 Invalid Host/Port: [Errno 61] Connection refused. 

I also did some searching in the forums and internet and either couldn't find much or wasn't sure how it related to FreeNAS.

I'm also no longer able to access my folders, which appears to be as a result of the setup.
Trying to access the maped drives from Windows 7 gives me the following error:
Code:
 Microsoft Windows Network: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request 

All the services within my Windows Server appear to be operating.

In trying to troubleshoot and setup AD, I tried the process within the documentation for connecting to Active Directory. As parat of that setup, I tested the wbinfo command and settings as follows:

wbinfo -u doesn't provide any output
wbinfo -g does provide a list of groups, including a group I created for my family
wbinfo -t states
Code:
checking the trust secret for domain XXXXX via RPC calls failed
wbcCheckTrustCredentials(XXXXX): error code was NT_STATUS_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_NOT_FOUND (0xc0000233)
failed to call wbcCheckTrustCredentials: WBC_ERR_AUTH_ERROR
Could not check secrete

I've had a hunt around the forums and couldn't find a lot [apologies if I have missed something].

System spec's are:
BOARD: Supermicro X10SL7-F [microATX]; BIOS v3.0; LSI 2308 f/w v 20.00.04
CPU: Pentium G3260
RAM: Crucial 16GB Kit (2x 8Gb) PC3-12800 ECC UDIMM [Model: CT102472BD160B]
HDD: vdev1: 2 x WD Red 1.0Tb [Mirror]
vdev2: 8 x WD Red 3.0Tb [RaidZ2]
PSU: Corsair 550W [Model: RM550x]
CASE: Fractal Design R4
FANS: 4 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm
2 x Fractal Define R3
Boot: 2 x Corsair 16Gb USB [Mirror]

Is this an issue with FreeNAS or Windows? Has anyone else encountered this issue and can provide guidance?

Thanks in advance

wraith

Contributor
I was able to, finally, to get my FreeNAS server to connect to my Domain and resolve some DNS "issues"

Should others experience similiar issues, here some of the steps I took to remedy my situation:
  • The time difference between the Windows server, FreeNAS server and Windows 7 client was upto ten minutes. I set all machines to point to a geographically close time server taken from www.pool.ntp.org. This being Australia or au.pool.ntp.org;
  • I discovered that attempting to change the Hostname from the Active Directory settings doesn't work [it kept reverting back]. I had to set it to FreeNAS from the Samba [SMB] settings within the services section
  • I also realised that my 3rd party firewall [Bitdefender] was blocking comm's from the server. Setting up an exclusion within teh firewall allowed the client, at least, to connect to the server
  • Set up a reservation with the DNS Manager for my FreeNAS server to ensure that it always go th same IP address

The only thing I find interesting is the LDAP and errno 61 still occurred, even though I was connected to the domain. Not sure if this is an error or an issue with another component!

Hope it helps someone! :)