SMTP server for alerts (without gmail)

cipri_tom

Cadet
Hi all,

I am trying to setup email alerts (Slack doesn't work, seems that webhooks have been deprecated).

I don't want to use GMail. So it seems that I have to setup an SMTP server? Any pointers for how to do that ? Does TrueNAS itself not have a small smtp server for this (e.g. postfix) ? I'm not very experienced with this.

I have another machine that is running proxmox, and there I just had to enter an email address and it worked out of the box. Maybe someone knows what kind of magic they use to make it seamless? I tried to set its IP as SMTP server in TrueNAS, but I get connection refused. I think it's because that machine is only listening to the local interface.

So, what's an easy way to setup email alerts without SMTP ?

Thanks !

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Email is transported over the Internet via SMTP... you need there to be a server somewhere, so asking how to do it without SMTP is like asking how to drive a car without wheels.

Depending on your local infrastructure... seems you have proxmox... you might want to think about opening it up to accept mail rather than having a multitude of SMTP open relays hanging around.

This guy seems to have messed with his setup to have it use a smarthost outside, so maybe that's the hint you're looking for: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...com-smtp-server-for-sending-email-only.73564/

As a more simple answer, you could set up a jail with nodered and place a simple Mail In and e-mail out 2-node flow to handle it.

cipri_tom

Cadet
Hah, nice analogy !
I understand that it is necessary, so my question was more like "did I get a car without wheels included?"
Since on my other server wheels/SMTP was included, I assumed it would have a small overhead to run it directly in TrueNAS. But I'm not familiar with it, I grew up with gmail.

I understand your point that it may not be smart to have a small little server on each machine, so indeed I'll try to open up the other one. At least they're on the same network.

As a more simple answer, you could set up a jail with nodered and place a simple Mail In and e-mail out 2-node flow to handle it.
Right. I'll look into that ! Thank you !

Morris

Contributor
Why are you making life hard for your self. It is super easy to set up with an external mail provider. Use a free one such as live.com

This is a NAS, the fact that you can run applications on it is a bonus and a real nice one. If you want to run SNMP spin up a Linux VM and configure SNMP with your own FQDN.