smtp relay add on?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
- Setup OpenVPN server on your NAS or an RPi, punch a tunnel from the VM back into your house and manage access via UFW, etc.. Setup Postfix to accept email from your required devices via "permit_mynetworks", no passwords needed.
In that scenario how does this cloud VM with postfix deliver the email to its final destination?

There are hundreds of ISPs in the world offering cheap or free mail accounts with proper setup who send email to Google all the time. As I already mentioned, web.de being one - free. posteo.de - 1€ per month. gmx.de - free. I could go on :wink:

rvassar

Guru
In that scenario how does this cloud VM with postfix deliver the email to its final destination?
By opening a connection and sending it to the host directly or via the published MX record like every other email server. Gmail will evaluate the rDNS PTR, DKIM key, SPF record, check the IP reputation, etc... And accept it for delivery. The key point I suspect you're missing is the hosts in his house submit the email to the tunnel IP address of the cloud VM, not the public one.
There are hundreds of ISPs in the world offering cheap or free mail accounts with proper setup who send email to Google all the time. As I already mentioned, web.de being one - free. posteo.de - 1€ per month. gmx.de - free. I could go on :wink:

Yes, and unless they also require OAuth2 (do they?), will all likely work just fine. I'm just pointing out the suggested VM running Postfix inside his house is by design, nearly impossible. Even if he pursues it, is pretty much the same amount of work as doing it in a free tier VM at a cloud vendor.

georgelza

Patron
... I got myself a sendgrid account, so can always point my on prem mail server to relay via that outwards...

As a option, to get around google....

G

georgelza

Patron
is anyone running postfix with it forwarding via smtp.sendgrid.net

mind sharing your main.cf and smtp-auth file
trying to figure out how to use my sendgrid api-key

G

rvassar

Guru
I don't, but they have a pretty good how-to:

Typical hangups: You need the sasl libs installed, and have to create a sasl_passwd file and it needs to be mode 0600 (and if I remember correctly it's quite picky about this) and then converted to a hashtable using postmap.

georgelza

Patron
I don't, but they have a pretty good how-to:

Typical hangups: You need the sasl libs installed, and have to create a sasl_passwd file and it needs to be mode 0600 (and if I remember correctly it's quite picky about this) and then converted to a hashtable using postmap.
thanks.

G

georgelza

Patron
Jails don't die. They are just a bunch of regular user processes, so individual processes inside the jail may die because of a memory shortage but not an entire jail.

Try dmesg | tail and tail /var/log/messages on the NAS host just after a jail "died". And of course iocage list.

opening separate thread re the "crashing"

G