SMB Shares Copies All Data To All Other SMB Folders

Dr-D

Cadet
I have to be overlooking something simple here but can't figure it out for the life of me. This is a brand new install of TrueNAS-13.0-U5.1. This is what is happening.
1. After installing TrueNAS I create a new pool named pool1 or any other name it doesn't matter which consists of 5 x 4TB in a Raid-z2 configuration with no encryption.
2. I add a dataset named netshares (or any other name it doesn't matter), Share Type can be Generic or SMB and leave everything else to default settings.
3. I create SMB shares. It doesn't matter how many different shares I make or what they are named but after they are created whatever data gets copied to or created in one folder instantly shows up in all of them. If I delete a file from any one of the folders it gets deleted from them all too. I have wiped out the pool, dataset and SMB shares and started over multiple times and it still does this. I've reinstalled several times wiping out the boot drive each time. This happens with TrueNAS Scale too. So if I have 5 SMB folders name Folder1, Folder2, Folder3, Folder4 and Folder5 whatever file gets copied to or created in anyone of those folders instantly shoes up in the other 4 folders. Whatever file gets edited or deleted in anyone of those folders is reflected in all the others. If I create a new SMB folder then that is automatically populated with the contents of all the existing folders too. This is my first time using TrueNAS so I'm learning as I go here. I've setup and used CentOS servers using Samba for Windows file sharing for many years and have never encountered this before. I'm stumped on this one yet it's probably something insanely simple. Thanks in advance.

The system is:
Intel Core i3-8100 @ 3.6GHz
16GB RAM
5 x 4TB WD Gold 7200RPM Drives
1 x 240GB Kingston SUV500240G SSD Boot Drive
Onboard Realtek GB Ethernet
ThermalTake 750W ATX Gold Power Supply

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have to be overlooking something simple here but can't figure it out for the life of me. This is a brand new install of TrueNAS-13.0-U5.1. This is what is happening.
1. After installing TrueNAS I create a new pool named pool1 or any other name it doesn't matter which consists of 5 x 4TB in a Raid-z2 configuration with no encryption.
2. I add a dataset named netshares (or any other name it doesn't matter), Share Type can be Generic or SMB and leave everything else to default settings.
3. I create SMB shares. It doesn't matter how many different shares I make or what they are named but after they are created whatever data gets copied to or created in one folder instantly shows up in all of them. If I delete a file from any one of the folders it gets deleted from them all too. I have wiped out the pool, dataset and SMB shares and started over multiple times and it still does this. I've reinstalled several times wiping out the boot drive each time. This happens with TrueNAS Scale too. So if I have 5 SMB folders name Folder1, Folder2, Folder3, Folder4 and Folder5 whatever file gets copied to or created in anyone of those folders instantly shoes up in the other 4 folders. Whatever file gets edited or deleted in anyone of those folders is reflected in all the others. If I create a new SMB folder then that is automatically populated with the contents of all the existing folders too. This is my first time using TrueNAS so I'm learning as I go here. I've setup and used CentOS servers using Samba for Windows file sharing for many years and have never encountered this before. I'm stumped on this one yet it's probably something insanely simple. Thanks in advance.

The system is:
Intel Core i3-8100 @ 3.6GHz
16GB RAM
5 x 4TB WD Gold 7200RPM Drives
1 x 240GB Kingston SUV500240G SSD Boot Drive
Onboard Realtek GB Ethernet
ThermalTake 750W ATX Gold Power Supply
Please PM me a debug.

Dr-D

Cadet
Please PM me a debug.
Found a post from 2012 that seems to have solved my problem. I didn't realize I had to create a separate dataset for each SMB share. Now that I have done that the problem has disappeared.