SMB Share Stuck On Read-Only When Accessing From Windows

jojo_furnace

Cadet
I have a SMB share set-up on my FreeNAS 11.3 server. All of my permissions are set correctly from the GUI (set ACL to Windows, owner is root, group is groupname, assigned users to group) and up until now I haven't noticed any issues.

Currently, when I mount the samba share on Windows with a user who is part of groupname I'm able to read files and write files, however the problem occurs when I try and run an installer on my Windows desktop that wants to modify a folder on the samba share. I went to see what the permissions were on the folder in the Security tab, and root and groupname both have full access, and Everyone has nothing checked. However, the folder has the "read-only" option checked in the General tab. When I unchecked that, it went through and recursively 'unset read-only' in all of the subfolders. I go back and check the folder again and "read-only" is once again checked. It seems like 'unset read-only' didn't do anything.

I'm going to post my getfacl output on three different levels. I think it might have something do with that? I don't fully understand how the ACL stuff works so excuse my ignorance.

pool1 is a dataset; creative is a dateset and is the smb share; DeadlineRepository10 is the folder I'm trying to modify with an installer

Attachments

• freenas_getfacl_output.png
    freenas_getfacl_output.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 225

Alecmascot

Guru
However, the folder has the "read-only" option checked in the General tab.
All my folders are the same. Seems Windows just does that.
You are being sidetracked.

jojo_furnace

Cadet
All my folders are the same. Seems Windows just does that.
You are being sidetracked.

Hmm, that seems a little reductive, but if that's the case then I wonder what the issue is. The folder I'm trying to modify via the installer was originally created with the SAME installer (albeit an older version since I am running an update on the files). I get a "can't write to folder" type error when I try and run in the installer. (Also, I've tried to run another installer for a different platform, and ran into the same issue, so it's not the installer).