SMB share slow and capped at 30MBps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Has anyone else noticed that since 11.1 releases SMB has gone really slow? I can achieve near 100MBps on 11.0-U3 and before but anything 11.1 or after is stuck at 30MBps tops.

I have multiple systems pretty much all the same as in my sig and the only difference I can see at the mo is the version of FreeNAS they're running.

When I offer up an AFP share Im back writing at 100MBps or more so it seems like a samba issue.

Cheers

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It must be a setting, but it hasn't happened to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Ok I've figured it out. By default when you create a dataset now in 11.1 its says Sync: standard and if I leave it like this and then run a benchmark tool against the share like AJA System on Mac its shows on 30MBps. However if I change the dataset to Sync: Disabled then everything is great again. Not sure in real world testing what issues you would have but nevertheless.

Last edited:

toadman

Guru
Which means whatever the client is it's doing sync writes vs async writes. Do you know the implications of sync=disabled on the dataset and are you ok with those risks? (Which can include losing the entire pool under the right conditions, albeit possibly a rare occurrence, but non-zero.)

Stux

MVP
Thanks for the feedback guys. I found another way which should be potentially less risky which is to leave the dataset as default 'sync standard' and add the auxiliary parameter below to the SMB Global settings.

strict sync = no

KrisBee

Wizard
Complaints about poor file transfer speeds over SMB with MAC OS are common on the net.
Suggested fixes include changing the client SMB protocol version and/or turning off client signing.

So what changed between FN 11.0-u3 and FN 11.1? I seem to remember the min/max SMB proctocol settings were removed from the WebUI, so could the answer be that MAC SMB client mount is now using a diiferent SMB version?

The fact that setting the data sync property to disabled restores the higher transfer speeds suggests the MAC OS SMB client is behaving differently to either a Linux or Windows SMB/CIFS client where you'd expect all writes to be async and see no zil activity during a file transfer.

I don't think its Mac OS per-say but at the application layer. When I do a normal transfer of data from Mac to FreeNAS all is fine but when I benchmark it with AJA Test I was getting very slow writes. I presume the AJA Test application was utilising the Windows CreateFile API (FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH) which requests synchronous writes and samba on FreeNAS is now honouring that. Before 11.1 it wouldn't so I assume a change in samba defaults for strict sync from = no to = yes.

I agree in my experience most complaints about poor transfer speeds over SMB from Mac are down to SMB3 signing which can be easily fixed by disabling that on the client end.

KrisBee

Wizard
OK, understood and a reminder of the possible pitfalls in benchmarking. You're right testparm -v shows FreeNAS 11.1-x samba now sets "strict sync= yes".

Stux

MVP
Which is a major change as far as user experience goes. It throws the old advise of "you don't need a SLOG if all you want to use is SMB" out of the window.

OK, understood and a reminder of the possible pitfalls in benchmarking. You're right testparm -v shows FreeNAS 11.1-x samba now sets "strict sync= yes".
Looking at a 9.10.2-U5 box "strict sync = no" so I would guess that default either changed in 11.0-U4 with (25950 - Update Samba to address current CVEs) or 11.1

Which is a major change as far as user experience goes. It throws the old advise of "you don't need a SLOG if all you want to use is SMB" out of the window.
Not completely as if the application doesn't request sync it won't happen.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

toadman

Guru
From the smb docs link posted above: "In Samba 4.7.0, the default for this parameter [strict sync] changed from no to yes to better match the expectations of SMB2/3 clients and improve application safety when running against smbd."

Can't remember exactly when FreeNAS pulled in 4.7.0. 11.1-U1 maybe?

kdragon75

Wizard
I would think a PSA would be in order for any such changes in the behavior of FreeNAS, even if done up stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.