SMB share NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Adriaan

Cadet
Might not be a 23.10 specific issue, but this has not bothered me before so i'm giving it a shot here. Cannot for the life of me figure this out.

I keep having this issue where SMB Access is denied on Win10. It worked fine when only Plex was installed, but somehow during installation and setup for qbittorrent (specifically after i enabled VPN in the application - i transfered the config file over SMB) it broke. I can't figure out what changed. Tried setting up a new "clean" share, still same issue. Both with admin account and a newly created different account. Auth log says NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
nosuchuser.png

I've tried setting up a new dataset with SMB share type, and a SMB share where everyone@ has all access. Still my admin account can't open it. Only if i set guest access on can i use the share.

Adriaan

Cadet
I have the standard local Admin user, and have created a separate user named Adrian. If i try to log in with 'Adrian' nothing is logged.

user1.jpg

user2.jpg

I have been trying all kinds of groups and users, so might have messed something up troubleshooting...

Adriaan

Cadet
Do you have a local user "Admin" that is also an SMB user? NO_SUCH_USER means that the user doesn't have a passdb entry.
Disregard the previous message (which isn't approved yet, so feel free to remove it) - i forgot sudo. with pbdedit i get the user i created, but not the admin user. Following some of your earlier advice i checked for the passdb and it's not there - syncing it just gives a "null:"
user5.jpg

Trying to auth SMB with the created user 'adrian' gives the same error:
user6.jpg

but nothing in the auth log.

Attachments

• user4.jpg
    user4.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 67

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Your client is using the username admin which doesn't exist on the server (per log message you posted above). Your passdb command was rejected because you didn't do it via sudo / root (this is also expected).

Adriaan

Cadet
In the second post it definitely ran as root. Retried today and get the same result - 100% progress, null output.

I have no idea what's broken here, i'm just gonna start from the ground up again on a stable release...

sfatula

Guru
In your screen captures for edit user admin, I don't see the box labelled "Samba Authentication" for admin user. On pre Cobia, it's on the bottom. Is that checked?

Your screen capture ends at "allowed sudo commands".

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
In your screen captures for edit user admin, I don't see the box labelled "Samba Authentication" for admin user. On pre Cobia, it's on the bottom. Is that checked?

Your screen capture ends at "allowed sudo commands".
Generally we don't allow either admin or root to be SMB users.

juronja

Cadet
hello, I have the same problem, but my user is juronja.

- password is 100% correct
- user is not built-in
- has smb auth checked
- is part of apps group
- apps group has ownership and permissions
- Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level is set on NTLMv2 only.

Any ideas how to further debug? Thank you

1703522101001.png
1703522432201.png
1703522588050.png
1703522810515.png

juronja

Cadet
Update: Solved, but not sure exactly what helped. I reinstalled a fresh instance of Truenas scale and a fresh setup (not from backup).

Deviations from my last install:
- I did use SMB for the dataset (I had Generic on my last instance) - so I did set the permissions via ACL / NFSv4 (not Unix)
- I did create a user with the same name as the Windows account.

I did use Unix and a different username as Windows on my last instance and it was working so not sure if the above is really what helped.

Hope this helps someone.
cheers

lucaset256

Cadet
I had the same issue with macOs and turned out it was a password problem. I just set a new password for my user (and I used the old one) and everything started working fine...