SMB Share not visible after update to 12.0-U6.1

canute4444

Dabbler
Hi,

I updated my TrueNas system to 12.0-U6.1 today and my SMB Shares are not visible on my windows machines anymore.

My SMB configuration looks like this
SMB.png

My Share configuration looks like this
Share.png

I think I was on previously on version 12.0-U6. The Share was working fine on that version.

Code:
testparm -s
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Weak crypto is allowed
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        aio max threads = 2
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        disable spoolss = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        enable web service discovery = Yes
        kernel change notify = No
        load printers = No
        logging = file
        max log size = 5120
        nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
        registry shares = Yes
        restrict anonymous = 2
        server role = standalone server
        server string = FreeNAS Server
        unix extensions = No
        idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        directory name cache size = 0
        dos filemode = Yes

[public]
        ea support = No
        kernel share modes = No
        path = /mnt/Cloud/public
        posix locking = No
        read only = No
        vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr
        nfs4:chown = true

I saw on another thread that "wide links" was not supported anymore. I previously had that in my SMB configuration, but my SMB shares are not working even when I remove them.

What do I need to change to get this working again?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What errors do you see in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd? In all likelihood, the problem is your Aux parameter follow symlinks = yes.

canute4444

Dabbler
What errors do you see in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd? In all likelihood, the problem is your Aux parameter follow symlinks = yes.
I don't see any errors other than
Code:
ERROR: smbd is already running. File /var/run/samba4/smbd.pid exists and process id 1188 is running.

I tried removing follow symlinks = yes and restarting the service from the UI. Doesn't seem to help. I can maybe restart both machines to check if you think that might help.

canute4444

Dabbler
I just realized that \\<ip-address>\share works whereas \\<netbiosname>\share doesn't.

I had removed "wide links" from the SMB configuration. Everything else remaining the same. I kept the follow symlinks = yes

How can I get it working with the NetBios Name?

Samuel Tai

Do you have DNS servers and WS Discovery configured under Network->Global Configuration? Do you have SMB1 enabled?

On the workstation, do you have both Function Discovery services running? Also is the DNS cache service running on the workstation?

Last edited:

canute4444

Dabbler
Do you have DNS servers and WS Discovery configured under Network->Global Configuration? Do you have SMB1 enabled?

On the workstation, do you have both Function Discovery services running? Also is the DNS cache service running on the workstation?
I checked these info from the other thread's post

DNS Server filled and WS Discovery enabled. No SMB1
Both Function Discovery services running in the Windows machine

I don't see a DNS cache service in my Windows list though, not sure where to find that.

Samuel Tai

I don't see a DNS cache service in my Windows list though, not sure where to find that.

It's called DNS Client in the Services control panel:

1636773767756.png

Samuel Tai

What DNS servers are you using on both the server and the desktop?

canute4444

Dabbler
A local address: 192.168.1.5.
Its a machine running Unbound. I haven't changed any of this in ages.

Samuel Tai

Is your server named differently from the NetBIOS name? I see from the screencap above you're using Cloud as the NetBIOS name. Is that different from the server DNS name?

X3n0n

Dabbler
I just realized that \\<ip-address>\share works whereas \\<netbiosname>\share doesn't.

I had removed "wide links" from the SMB configuration. Everything else remaining the same. I kept the follow symlinks = yes

How can I get it working with the NetBios Name?

As a Mac user I have this problem every time I reboot TrueNas (access via xxx.local name not working).

Can you try to disable mDNS, WS Discovery in Network, global settings (save) and re enable again those 2 options ?
On my Macs machine it works immediately after.

Samuel Tai

As a Mac user I have this problem every time I reboot TrueNas (access via xxx.local name not working).

Can you try to disable mDNS, WS Discovery in Network, global settings (save) and re enable again those 2 options ?
On my Macs machine it works immediately after.

Assuming this is the fix, try creating a post-init script under Tasks->Init/Shutdown Scripts to run the following commands:

Code:
midclt call network.configuration.update '{"service_announcement":{"mdns":false,"wsd":false}}'
midclt call network.configuration.update '{"service_announcement":{"mdns":true,"wsd":true}}'

These will toggle those boxes off and then on.

dcol

Dabbler
Pulled my hair out on this one, but toggling mDNS and WS-Discovery did the trick. Glad I found this post. Thanks

dcol

Dabbler
On a reboot wsd is not working again. I have to toggle it before the share is seen. Does this service not startup on a reboot?