SMB service failed to start.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
root@freenas[/mnt/RAIDZ-14TB]# ls -loTH /var/db/system
total 26
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel uarch 3 Feb 2 03:45:01 2019 configs-1c36823397d74dbc9e7d4fbefe8b455e
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root wheel uarch 5 Mar 11 04:48:51 2019 cores
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel uarch 4 Feb 3 18:33:43 2019 ixdiagnose
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel uarch 0 Jan 26 15:22:01 2019 nfs-stablerestart
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel uarch 0 Jan 26 15:22:01 2019 nfs-stablerestart.bak
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 root wheel uarch 5 Mar 16 05:50:39 2019 rrd-1c36823397d74dbc9e7d4fbefe8b455e
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root wheel uarch 14 Mar 9 15:26:44 2019 samba4
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel uarch 3 Jan 26 15:22:01 2019 syslog-1c36823397d74dbc9e7d4fbefe8b455e
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root wheel uarch 2 Jan 26 15:22:00 2019 webui
Okay. It looks like you've had a permissions reset inside your system dataset. This has broken samba by setting incorrect permissions. Assuming this is a fairly recent release, let's try the following: find /var/db/system -exec setfacl -b {} \; to strip the extended ACL entries. Permissions inside /var/db/samba4 will still be incorrect so let's do this (assuming this isn't an AD environment) rm -rf /var/db/system/samba4/*

Once you do that, run
Code:
service ix-pre-samba start
service samba_server restart

jacque8080

Dabbler
Okay. It looks like you've had a permissions reset inside your system dataset. This has broken samba by setting incorrect permissions. Assuming this is a fairly recent release, let's try the following: find /var/db/system -exec setfacl -b {} \; to strip the extended ACL entries. Permissions inside /var/db/samba4 will still be incorrect so let's do this (assuming this isn't an AD environment) rm -rf /var/db/system/samba4/*

Once you do that, run
Code:

It's not an AD environment. But I get the following error:

root@freenas[/]# find /var/db/system -exec setfacl -b {} \;
setfacl: /var/db/system/rrd-1c36823397d74dbc9e7d4fbefe8b455e/localhost/localhost: stat() failed: Too many levels of symbolic links

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's not an AD environment. But I get the following error:

root@freenas[/]# find /var/db/system -exec setfacl -b {} \;
setfacl: /var/db/system/rrd-1c36823397d74dbc9e7d4fbefe8b455e/localhost/localhost: stat() failed: Too many levels of symbolic links
Ugh, well, let's focus on samba4
Code:
setfacl -b /var/db/samba4
rm -rf /var/db/system/samba4/*

As in strip the ACL from /var/db/samba4, remove its contents, regenerate the smb4.conf, and restart samba.

jacque8080

Dabbler
root@freenas[/]# setfacl -b /var/db/samba4 rm -rf /var/db/system/samba4/* service ix-pre-samba start service samba_server restart
zsh: no matches found: /var/db/system/samba4/*

jacque8080

Dabbler
PM sent

SoggyF

Cadet

Once you do that, run
Code:

This worked for me. THX, anodos!!!

Kevin Pepin

Cadet
This also helped me out after I had to replace a bricked motherboard and decided to update from 9.3 to 11-2-U6. After importing my pools SMB Service wouldn’t start.

The only issue I had was an error after

My problem was solved though! Thanks

I'm having a very similar issue to the above and am anxious to do anything I can to recover my data. Can anyone help?

Basically, I just upgraded from a thrown together server to a much better system but can't seem to import my pool in a manner that allows me to access the data. I installed on a Supermicro x11ssm-f with a Xeon 1220 (E3) and 32gb of RAM. I thought this machine would be much better than my previous setup but instead have the exact issues described in this thread after importing my pool.

The data I have is partially backed up (but not completely) and is mission critical to my business.

I am a very much a FreeNAS newbie but am willing to learn what I need to to get my data back to a usable status.

Thanks!

gpratt1999

Cadet
I'm having a very similar issue to the above and am anxious to do anything I can to recover my data. Can anyone help?

Basically, I just upgraded from a thrown together server to a much better system but can't seem to import my pool in a manner that allows me to access the data. I installed on a Supermicro x11ssm-f with a Xeon 1220 (E3) and 32gb of RAM. I thought this machine would be much better than my previous setup but instead have the exact issues described in this thread after importing my pool.

The data I have is partially backed up (but not completely) and is mission critical to my business.

I am a very much a FreeNAS newbie but am willing to learn what I need to to get my data back to a usable status.

Thanks!
I had this issue with FreeNAS-11.2-U7 recently. I found a way around it by deleting my shares and then trying to restart SMB. This worked and I just had to set up my shares again. Hope this helps.