SMB service failed to start After Upgrading To 11.2 from 11.0 (Stable)

benfozzer

Dabbler
@anodos

Put these into shell, was looking good for a while... So I went into FreeNas again and tried to enable SMB.. But I'm still receiving the same error :(

benfozzer

Dabbler
I was able to solve this running this command:

Code:
chmod 0700 /var/db/samba4/private/msg.sock

Or you can folow this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riXpEqIVXCg

Putting this into the shell, didn't seem to anything.. No output or anything :(

Tried enabling smb after, still no luck :(

I'm tempted to just use another protocol to pull all my data off, do a full format and reinstall freenas then put all the data back over.. shouldn't take long on 10 gigabit..

Any suggestions of what protocol I could use to pull that data?

heidi

Dabbler
still the same issue. LDAP xor SMB

Attachments

• log_slave_samba.txt
    44.4 KB · Views: 357

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Code:
Aug 15 10:30:14 storageslave smbd[30085]:   Failed to create BUILTIN\\Guests group NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_ALIAS!  Can Winbind allocate gids?

^^^ this is why SMB fails to start on your server. Change your guest account under "services->SMB" to one that exists in your LDAP.

heidi

Dabbler
Maybe thats the problem. But freenas is only showing LDAP groups in the dropdown Administrators Group (services -> SMB). This field is also manually writeable. For Guest Account you can only select users from a dropdown and there are no LDAP users listed. LDAP is working and you can Apply LDAP users in file permissions for example.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Maybe thats the problem. But freenas is only showing LDAP groups in the dropdown Administrators Group (services -> SMB). This field is also manually writeable.
The GUI dropdowns use pyldap and the existing LDAP connection. LDAP connection in 11.2 is performed by SSSD. SMB sharing is performed by Samba. Failure to generate BUILTIN\\guests prevents Samba from starting, but doesn't affect pyldap and SSSD.

heidi

Dabbler
Ok, thanks for your response! Pyldap shows LDAP groups but no LDAP users, any reason for that behavior?
And what would be the next step to solve that issiue. None of the useres shown by freenas does exist in LDAP.

BeepDog

Dabbler
service samba_server stop
rm /var/db/samba4/group_mapping.tdb
rm /var/db/samba4/private/passdb.tdb
rm /var/db/samba4/.usersimported
net cache flush
rm /var/db/samba4/winbindd_cache*
service ix-pre-samba start
service samba_server start

What's the replacement for this in 11.3-1? I can't figure out what happened to ix-pre-samba. It's gone.