SMB File Transfer speeds slowing over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_B

Cadet
Hello.

I Have tried searching for the answer, but i never seem to find what i'm looking for - maybe somebody could give me some pointers.

I'm running 11.1-u6 system spec is as follows :-

i3 7100 3.9Ghz
16gb DDR4
7x 2tb 7200rpm WD attached via an LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA flashed to IT mode - RaidZ1
Dual port Intel X520-T2 10Gbe
Single Port Intel Gigabit NIC
If it makes a difference Freenas is installed onto a 60gb SATA SSD

Network cabling around my home is BrandRex Cat6. I have the Freenas box attached to a gigabit switch, and one of the ports on the 10Gbe card directly attached to my PC - 40m away and showing a 10gig connection.

The main drive on my PC is a 500gb Samsung M.2 960 Pro, so ample to feed the network.

Pulling files of various sizes off the server to my PC quickly runs up to 420mb/sec (reported by windows 10) and just sits there, rock solid until its complete. However, sending stuff to Freenas from my PC quickly jumps upto 400mb/sec, holds for about 20sec then drops like a stone (10-20mb/sec) and slowly builds back up to about 150mb/sec..

Does this sound like the issue could be with Freenas or my PC? I cant test another machine as its the only 10Gbe capable machine in the house - When I was just running gigabit it would max out the connection at 112mb/sec in both directions.

Sorry to ramble on!

Kind Regards.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello.

I Have tried searching for the answer, but i never seem to find what i'm looking for - maybe somebody could give me some pointers.

I'm running 11.1-u6 system spec is as follows :-

i3 7100 3.9Ghz
16gb DDR4
7x 2tb 7200rpm WD attached via an LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA flashed to IT mode - RaidZ1
Dual port Intel X520-T2 10Gbe
Single Port Intel Gigabit NIC
If it makes a difference Freenas is installed onto a 60gb SATA SSD

Network cabling around my home is BrandRex Cat6. I have the Freenas box attached to a gigabit switch, and one of the ports on the 10Gbe card directly attached to my PC - 40m away and showing a 10gig connection.

The main drive on my PC is a 500gb Samsung M.2 960 Pro, so ample to feed the network.

Pulling files of various sizes off the server to my PC quickly runs up to 420mb/sec (reported by windows 10) and just sits there, rock solid until its complete. However, sending stuff to Freenas from my PC quickly jumps upto 400mb/sec, holds for about 20sec then drops like a stone (10-20mb/sec) and slowly builds back up to about 150mb/sec..

Does this sound like the issue could be with Freenas or my PC? I can't test another machine as its the only 10Gbe capable machine in the house - When I was just running gigabit it would max out the connection at 112mb/sec in both directions.

Sorry to ramble on!

Kind Regards.

Try bumping up the value of the net.inet.tcp.reass.maxqueuelen sysctl to 1436

Status
Not open for further replies.