smartd not running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkman

Patron
Like MrToddsFriends said. For example, I have a Dell R710 (which I believe is the Intel Xeon version of your AMD Opteron powered R715) which has a Perc 6/i RAID controller. I do not use the R710 for FreeNAS, but if I did, I would need to swap out that RAID controller because it can not be reflashed to be an HBA.

dzo-o

Cadet
Like MrToddsFriends said. For example, I have a Dell R710 (which I believe is the Intel Xeon version of your AMD Opteron powered R715) which has a Perc 6/i RAID controller. I do not use the R710 for FreeNAS, but if I did, I would need to swap out that RAID controller because it can not be reflashed to be an HBA.
Hmmmmm. That gets me worried. How does smartd help?

Linkman

Patron
Two separate issues -- (1) FreeNAS needs direct control over the discs, it's software RAID, and a very very good one. The Perc 6/i does not allow that direct control, so I won't use it with FreeNAS (my FreeNAS box uses an LSI HBA, was flashed to IT mode, and passes the discs directly to FreeNAS).

And (2) smartd is the process that FreeNAS uses to query the health of the discs, with SMART data FreeNAS can identify when a disc is failing and alert you before you lose data. Without that, you don't know till the disc dies. Proactive beats reactive almost every time.

dzo-o

Cadet
Two separate issues -- (1) FreeNAS needs direct control over the discs, it's software RAID, and a very very good one. The Perc 6/i does not allow that direct control, so I won't use it with FreeNAS (my FreeNAS box uses an LSI HBA, was flashed to IT mode, and passes the discs directly to FreeNAS).

And (2) smartd is the process that FreeNAS uses to query the health of the discs, with SMART data FreeNAS can identify when a disc is failing and alert you before you lose data. Without that, you don't know till the disc dies. Proactive beats reactive almost every time.
I see so I am screwed, unless I can get someone clever enough to help me change that? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.