smartd failed to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
So I've been running freenas since the 8 betas and have been upgrading since and that may be part of my problem. I may have managed to keep the smart bug during the upgrades but you guys tell me. Everytime I try to start SMART it gives me the following error in my messages log (which btw someone really needs to put a way to check the error logs in the gui!)

Feb 18 11:11:21 storage freenas[2228]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service ix-smartd quietstart
Feb 18 11:11:26 storage freenas[2228]: Executing: /usr/sbin/service smartd restart
Feb 18 11:11:26 storage freenas: smartd not running? (check /var/run/smartd.pid).
Feb 18 11:11:26 storage freenas: Starting smartd.
Feb 18 11:11:26 storage root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smartd: WARNING: failed to start smartd
Feb 18 11:11:26 storage freenas: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smartd: WARNING: failed to start smartd
Feb 18 11:11:27 storage freenas[2228]: Executing: /bin/pgrep -F /var/run/smartd.pid smartd

Any thoughts. I'd really like my smart to be working.

G

gcooper

What version are you running now ( cat /etc/version* ) and what happens if you run smartd without any arguments?

Visseroth

Guru
FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 (9591)

And when I execute the command smartd as su it reports nothing back, no errors, no notifications, nothing, just goes back to command prompt.

agazendam

Cadet
I experienced similar symptoms and was able to resolve it by "enabling" SMART on the disks as follows:

smartctl -s on /dev/ada0

Visseroth

Guru
I was finally able to resolve the issue by removing my raid array and arranging it so that it was 6 by 2 instead of 1 by 12. Once the array was rearranging smart started like it was supposed to. For those that don't know this required removing my data from the array deleting the array and recreating the new array and transferring my data back.
This allowed me to change from a raidz1 with a hot swap spare to 2 raidz2 which gives me room for a total of 4 hard drive failures, 2 per pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.