smart testing problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
i had all my smart testing scheduled - each drive had it's own scheduled tasks - long and short.

during a reboot the disks changed their name (ada0,ada1 etc) and this caused some of the schedules to fail. i therefore set up a more simple schedule, one for all disks long test and one for all the disks short test.

during an update and reboot the schedules broke again.

Smart.png
Smart2.png
Smart3.png
Smart4.png

All of the drives were highlighted previously. i have an ssd boot disc - possibly this is changing it's name when i reboot and this effects the hdd names. what do i need to do to ensure the smart tests run when i need them. has anybody else had this problem ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you are doing frequent updates of FreeNAS 9.10. The boot device should have no bearing on it, after all many people are using DOM's which is a SSD, just smaller.

How are you doing your updates, via the automatic update tool or manually downloading and updating?

Lastly, I would submit a bug report and be specific about the versions you upgraded from and to, and how the upgrade was installed.

If you can roll back to a previous version for testing this out and replicate the failure, that would be helpful to those troubleshooting the issue.

ethereal

Guru
i think my main concern is if i schedule a smart test for ada0 - which is the only way you can select a disc - and reboot freenas can change the name of the discs (this is a supported feature of freenas). now either the wrong disc gets the test or tests get disabled.

i upgraded to the latest version this was the reason for the reboot - but this has happened before

ethereal

Guru
i just had another think - i destroyed one of my pools yesterday and remade it. this may be why the tests were disabled. all the drives disabled are in the pool that was destroyed.

let me schedule the tests again and reboot when i have a chance

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure what all happens when you destroy a pool but it could be part of a cleanup routine. I wish I could try that in VMWare Workstation but VM drives can't have SMART running on them. I think smartd is actually turned off (won't start).

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
i destroyed one of my pools yesterday and remade it
This explains it. When you set up SMART tests the GUI shows device names but the tests are actually tied to the disk labels. Very confusing GUI.

Corollary: you have to update your SMART tests every time you replace a disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.