Slow speeds using NFS, but high using FTP or WebDAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericvr

Cadet
Hi guys,

I've been running the FreeNAS server for about a year now and have been unable to use it for the last few months because of a bug that has been solved a while ago. So I'm happy I can continue using FreeNAS again, but I still have some trouble getting good performance.

Some background information (jump to the * to skip),
I've got a 1 Gbps home network on which I mainly use a Macbook Pro, a few linux devices (RPI, home automation stuff, media player) and occasionally a Windows Laptop. Most devices were connected through wired ethernet and I was using Samba shares to access my drives. Read and write speeds were asome as it could easily saturate 1Gbps ethernet with both read and write tests.
I did have a lot of problems accessing the drives on my macbook, so after some time I switched to using NFS and that helped tremendously. Unfortunately there was a bug in 9.2 that screwed with permissions. A few months passed, my macbook died and I bought a new one, which.....had no ethernet connector. My Macbook is the device I use the most.

Last week I decided to upgrade to 9.10.2, which solved the permissions problem and I'm now again able to write to my shares.

Doing some tests I found that I could read and write with about 13MB/s (100Mbps) over my 802.11ac WiFi connection. I was hoping for a bit higher speed, so I created a FTP share and tried uploading a large file through FTP. It could upload the file at speeds over 35MBps, which is great.

I downloaded Helios Lantest and found that NFS and CIFS are in the same ballpark regarding performance, but WebDAV for example is much faster. For FTP I could not run the LanTest, but the large file copy also showed much higher speeds (>35MBps on Wifi 802.11ac) than using NFS. I know Wifi is not ideal, but speeds of over 25MBps (200Mbps I find acceptable for my home network).

Some numbers from LanTest,
NFS test
Create 300 files of 20 kB - 17,5s
Open/Close 300 files - 395ms
Remove 300 files - 3,8s
Write 300MB to file - 12,8MB/s
Read 300MB from file - 12,9MB/s
Lock/Unlock 16000 times - 59,7s
Read directory (640 files) - 14,2s

WebDAV test
Create 300 files of 20 kB - 8,9s
Open/Close 300 files - 26,3ms
Remove 300 files - 3,6s
Write 300MB to file - 39,9MB/s
Read 300MB from file - 5540,4 MB/s (An absurd number, is there some caching done maybe?)
Lock/Unlock 16000 times - N/A
Read directory (640 files) - 282,1ms

Do you have any ideas as to why this is or where I should start looking? Any help is appreciated!

[Edit: removed redundant images]

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Doing some tests I found that I could read and write with about 13MB/s (100Mbps) over my 802.11ac WiFi connection. I was hoping for a bit higher speed, so I created a FTP share and tried uploading a large file through FTP. It could upload the file at speeds over 35MBps, which is great.
WiFi is inherently bad when copying files. You've got to take into account other connected devices, protocol overhead and other stuff. While it may say 1300Mbps on the box, you're not going to get that under normal conditions.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
WiFi is inherently bad when copying files. You've got to take into account other connected devices, protocol overhead and other stuff. While it may say 1300Mbps on the box, you're not going to get that under normal conditions.
Or any conditions. It's pure fantasy. 50% nominal throughput is pretty good by Wi-Fi standards, in good conditions.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
600mbps is about the fastest you could ever get. Realistically you should be happy with about half that, ~300mbps. With that in mind there are so many variables with wifi, distance, other interference and other clients that your performance tests can't really be trusted.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.