Slow Speed & Performance Issues while Copying from USB Hard Disk using window system to FreeNAS

• Thread starter Deleted member 34036
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 34036

Hi,

I am trying to copy some 300 GB's of files to the FreeNAS system. But I am getting very slow speed like 30MB/Sec. Is there any way to boost up the performance, so that it touches atleast 90-100 MB/sec. I am using FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64.

First question: My Windows system has 3GB memory through which I am connected to FreeNAS volume (32 GB ram , Intel E5 Xeon 2620 v2 2.10Ghz), does the windows system ram needs to be increased to boost performance?

Second Question:Can I do some tweaking in CIFS performance, increase port speed etc.?

Please guide, how can I get a better performance while writing data and reading data - both ways?

Thanks,

warri

Guru
Have you made sure the bottleneck is actually the LAN connection or CIFS?

You didn't state which USB version you are using. I wouldn't expect more than 30-40MB/s from an external hard drive connected via USB 2.0. Does copying from USB to the client computer work faster than 30 MB/s?

gpsguy

Warri - I suggested he start a new thread, his old one piggybacked on another topic.

While I also said that USB is an issue, it appears that he
Might have a single vdev with 30. - 3Tb drives. I asked him to post his zpool status to see if that is the case

Sent from my phone

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If someone created a 30 disk vdev they shouldn't be using FreeNAS....

D

Deleted member 34036

Hi,

Its via USB 2.0, I guess when i am trying to copy via USB. But when I am trying to copy data from my system which has 8 GB ram and a i7 processor system, how can I increase the performance. Do I need to increase port speed in the advanced section and which port speed do I need to set from 9600,19200,38400,57600,115200.

Thanks,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are using USB2 you are stuck with the slow speed. That's the limitation of USB2. To be blunt, if you didn't expect this you shouldn't be using FreeNAS. You questioning the limitations of USB2 really makes me cringe for your data. USB2 has been out for 10+ years, and every IT geek *knows* this limitation.

D

Deleted member 34036

Hi,
I understand Usb2 has been out, but my data has been residing in the usb disk since many more years - so i have no option but to copy it in slow speed. But what about if I try to copy directly from my system (i.e. my system data to freenas server.How can I increase the speed?

Thanks,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't increase the speed. I just told you "If you are using USB2 you are stuck with the slow speed". Is that not making sense?

Also, http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/fatal-trap-12-at-boot-advice.19432/#post-117119 shows a 30 disk vdev. The fact that you don't know USB2 is slow and the fact that you created a 30 disk vdev tells me you are wholly incapable of properly admining a FreeNAS server. You need to stop and either pay someone to do your heavy lifting or not use FreeNAS. Either one of those alone would have been a red flag that you do not know what you are doing and you are asking to lose data. Both means you should just stop right now.

D

Deleted member 34036

Ok I am stopping! Dont worry, I am just trying to learn from you guys as I am new to Freenas and I know that people learn from mistakes only and that's why I wany to learn from technology champions like you.

But that is not my answer to my question! "You don't increase the speed. I just told you "If you are using USB2 you are stuck with the slow speed". Is that not making sense?" My question was different.

I was asking about normal transfer through LAN and not via usb. That is the data which is lying in my system, I want to transfer it to the server. In that case, How can I increase the write speed. Forget about USB now. My computer data to Freenas Server.

Thanks,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your read and write speeds are going to be based on many factors. I will say that any vdev wider than 11 disks(which is the maximum recommended for a whole laundry list of reasons) is going to have crappy performance. You.. your pool is almost 3 times the maximum recommended. So you have many things to fix before you can get upset about the speeds. The current crappy speeds are directly attributable to poor setup and execution. Nothing else. Redo it properly(or pay someone to handle the heavy lifting) and I can guarantee that hardware will be able to saturate 3x Gb links simultaneously without breaking a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.