Slow "read" speed from 8.0.1-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsylvia007

Explorer
I've been a FreeNAS user for YEARS, and I LOVE it!

It came time to upgrade my drives, and with that, I also upgraded to 8.0 to get the ZFS support.

Here are my Specs:
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0.1-RELEASE-amd64 (8081)
Motherboard: MSI (Micro Star) MS-7592 (G41M4-F)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Memory: 8GB
Controller: Promise SATA300 TX4
Ethernet: 1GB (on HP GigaBit Managed Switch)
Storage: 4 x 3TB WD in RAID-Z1
Sharing: CIFS

Whenever I write to the NAS via SMB, I average about 60MB/s. I'm not disappointed in that, although some indicate that I should be getting faster speeds.

What is killing me is my READ speed. I read at 2MB/s which is UNBEARABLE.

In my Samba config I have these options enabled:

Large RW support
Send files with sendfile(2)
EA Support
Support DOS File Attributes
Enable AIO

I thought it might be the controller, so I used the on-board controller instead, but had the exact same results.

What am I doing wrong? Why is my read speed so terrible?

jsylvia007

Explorer
*BUMP*

I would really like to BUMP this post and get some visibility.

My setup is MORE than adequate for ZFS and FreeNAS 8, yet I have terrible read performance.

Can a developer point me in some testing directions? This is my second attempt to bump this topic, but evidently a Moderator didn't feel as though it was worthy.

I need someone to explain to me how I can have this type of hardware, and 60MB/s WRITE speed, but I can download a file on my mobile phone quicker than across my gigabit switch.

What am I missing??

jsylvia007

Explorer
Unfortunately not. It's gotten slightly better by itself, but still nowhere near what I think I should be getting. I've given up because I didn't get any responses here.

Stephens

Patron
Did you read the FreeNAS documentation, especially the CIFS part? Look specifically at what it says about AIO. I'd at least start there.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will never understand why people don't upgrade yet complain about problems that could potentially be fixed with an OS update. There's been ALOT of people lately posting with problems, and after an update the problem is fixed. I know that before I tried posting about a problem I'd definitely try the latest version, perhaps even the beta/RC just to see if it works better there.d

Not to mention that all pre 8.0.4-p3 has the security vulnerability.

Edit: Just want to add that I'm not referring to the OP. This thread was from 2011 and it is likely 8.0.1 was the latest at the time.

paleoN

Wizard
The necro posting and then the response from jsylvia007 had me all turned around. :eek: He likely didn't update his signature either.

jsylvia007

Explorer
Yea, sorry about that guys! I am running the most current release, I just haven't updated my sig.

I remember reading somewhere that it was beneficial to have AIO enabled for CIFS shares, which is why I had it enabled. I have since disabled AIO, and have noticed an increase in read speed to around 15MB/s.

I'll be sure to update my sig when I get home.

paleoN

Wizard
It was my mistake, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.