Slow NFS automount and directory listings

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedy

Cadet
Hey there I am quite new to this so please go easy on me !

I’ am looking for some set up advice to speed up the performance of nfs mounting and directory listing on my NAS. I have built an 8TB NAS in a RAID-Z config using FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64.iso . It is used to serve data via nfs to 3 linux clients. I have two issues which I don’t seem to be able to resolve. The first is automount at boot for the clients. I have successfully set up an nfs share on the FREENAS box and can mount the clients with a sudo mount command. This is fine but I would rather do it at boot up. I have edited the /etc/fstab file with the following:

***.***.x.xx:/mnt/freenas /mnt nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

But the mount at boot is hit and miss. Sometimes it will be mounted and other times it takes 60s+ to mount with numerous clicks in the file manager. I usually have to revert to a manual mount via the cli. Any ideas why this would be the case?

Secondly is the hit and miss performance of directory listing. It can take up to 20s to list the files in a directory and drops in and out. Are there any tunables or tweaks that I need to set on the FREENAS gui that I have missed?. Again sometimes it is fast sometimes not – just not very constant. Once it is all set and connected the transfer speed is lightning >100megs /second.

All the hardware is new so there should not be an issue. Here is the server spec:

MB Intel DH67BLB3 S1155 Mikro-ATX USB 3.0 retail

Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS3 8GB Two Memory Module Kit *2

Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive OEM - Caviar Green*4

Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Processor, Socket 1155, L3 3MB, Sandy Bridge, 32nm

All of the clients are Ubuntu12.04/12.10 being served over a gigabit network.
I am a bit stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In helping answering my queries is there any more info required??
Thanks in advance - reedy

Status
Not open for further replies.