Single versus Dual Channel ECC RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tock

Dabbler
Hi guys and girls^^.

Due to the fact that I want to create my first FreeNAS machine next month I was wondering if I should rather get 2 4 GB ECC RAM Sticks or 1 8 GB ECC Stick? Normally in a Windows environment you would go for 2 Sticks but in the end this would either "limit" me to 16 GB RAM where as when I use one 8 GB Stick I'm able to upgrade to 32 GB later on without "wasting" my money on 2 4 GB Sticks.

So the question is will using only one RAM Stick limit the performance and if so, by how much?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Using one stick now and getting another stick later is the better way to go. There will be a performance penalty because you won't have dual channel, but you're going to seriously hurt performance even more than that by virtue of using only 8GB of RAM. :P

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For the vast majority of applications, memory speed has a very limited impact on system performance. Since upgrading is in the cards, there's no real reason not to buy one 8GB DIMM.

Tock

Dabbler
Thanks guys!

S0 when I buy more DIMMs am I allowed to simply shutdown the server, install the DIMMs and FreeNAS wont need special settings for it? I ask because I read that you cant be braindead about adding new drives^^.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope, that's really how you add more RAM to a FreeNAS box. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.