Single-NVMe in a Pool (Stripe) for Home Use

mroptman

Dabbler
What are the pros/cons of running a NVMe based pool with a single drive?
Anyone experience issues with SSD/NVMe based pools?
The stripe NVMe pool would have frequent snapshots replicated to a raid-z2 pool in case the single NVMe device (in the stripe pool) fails.

NVMe Workload:
- VMs (10 or fewer)
- Container Data
- Home use, not commercial (can restore from replicated snapshots if outage happens)

Running a comparable workload on ESXi with a single NVMe drive and there have been zero issues for over 7 years. Backup strategy with ESXi free is not as robust as with SCALE's ZFS capability w/snapshots and replication. On ESXi, the VMs are shutdown and exported to .7z archives. The intent is to automate this w/ZFS by moving to SCALE (once stable).

All in all, it seems like a waste of NVMe space to run a SSD-based mirror when SSDs are already so reliable. A mirror could be done but wasting 50% space again seems 'wasteful' for non-commercial workload. Curious for others input on their usage of NVMe/SSD pools.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
As long as you can cope with loss of data between the outage time and last snapshot, it's a very reasonable strategy and keeps the costs down.

The annual failure rate of good SSDs is well below 1% for the first few years.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I have been doing the same thing (conceptually) with XCP-ng and FreeNAS 11.3U5 for a while. My scenario and reasoning are identical. It works quite well and I even replicate the weekly backups to cloud storage (my upstream bandwidth is only 12 Mbps).

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Can't say anything about VMs or container usage, but I have my media server data striped. It's actually striped across most of a mSATA 1TB SSD & most of a 2.5" 2TB SATA laptop hard drive. Started doing that about 2015. Since it's cheaper media, (laptop hard drive...), I do get pool errors every now and then. Because it's only a file or 2, easy restore from backups. (Thank you ZFS for telling me WHAT I lost!) And of course, the restore is both on line and non-fatal.

Note that the OS pool IS Mirrored, from a piece on each storage device. Mostly so that I don't have to bother with the more complicated boot from alternate media, then perform the restore. Plus, the OS takes up a trivial amount of space compared to the media.

drinking12many

Contributor
I had a single NVME pool for a bit, mostly non-critical VMs for work testing, after awhile I added another and to create a mirror, long as you know the risks etc no reason not too.

sretalla