siisch timeouts when using 3 of 3 backplane groups in backblaze

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereoa

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently built a backblaze pod using an Intel s3420gplx, 16 gb of ram, a Xeon x3480, 9 5x port multiplier backplanes to 3 SY-PEX40008 PCI-e sata controllers. When I plug in sata to all 3 pci-e sata controllers I get siisch timeouts and can't boot freenas. When I unplug any one of them leaving 2 it works just fine. Any troubleshooting?

stereoa

Cadet
Thanks for the response! I did try different slots. I started using these 3:

Gen 1 x4
Gen 2 x4
Gen 2 x8

Then tried moving them all down one to this config:
Gen 1 x1
Gen 1 x4
Gen 2 x4

No luck there. I'm thinking I will try moving them up to this config:
Gen 2 x4
Gen 2 x8
Gen 2 x8

I am finding now that I get non-consequential timeouts during regular operation even with 2 out of 3 plugged in, but it doesn't halt the boot like 3 out of 3 does.

stereoa

Cadet
I tried every possible combinations of PCI-e ports. After pulling out every last hair on my head, I've hit a brick wall. I see that many many people have this problem with freebsd. Should I just give up?

Chewie71

Cadet
Hi,

Did you ever get this figured out? Looks like I'm having the same or similar issue. I had the same problem with the default Debian install on this too.

Matt

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
This controller is just not well supported in FreeBSD, you might get better luck using 8.3 BETA 3. But I would just buy something else, that is well supported in FreeBSD.

mrsieb

Dabbler
Hi all,

I recently built a backblaze pod using an Intel s3420gplx, 16 gb of ram, a Xeon x3480, 9 5x port multiplier backplanes to 3 SY-PEX40008 PCI-e sata controllers. When I plug in sata to all 3 pci-e sata controllers I get siisch timeouts and can't boot freenas. When I unplug any one of them leaving 2 it works just fine. Any troubleshooting?

Did you also have IRQ Storms in your console?
look at my post sounds to a similar problem than i have.
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...ot-X-and-IRQ-Storm-on-SiI3132-SATA-Multiplier

If i running FreeBSD 8.X i get IRQ Storms if a Run BSD9.0 i get The Slot Time Outs like you.
There is still a problem using Port Multiplieres on BSD....my opinion is there is an general issu in the SIIS driver and/or IRQ handling in BSD.

can you post pls your output of "vmstat -i ?"
and "camcontrol devlist -v"

greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.