Shutting off server when not in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASr710

Explorer
I am running and R710 and it is not the most efficient server/computer out there. I was wondering if it was worth shutting down when not in use to conserve energy and wear and tear on fans, drives (though the drives are set to spin down). Is there a way to set a timer so that the server automatically comes up at a certain time of day and shuts off at night?

I guess it could cause access issues if someone was using it while it began a shut down?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
One of the basic features of most of the system BIOS configurations I have seen for years is that you can set the system to power on at a certain time of day, almost like setting an alarm clock, and my laptop even lets you set different times for different days of the week.
That should be quite easy to configure, but it is going to depend on exactly what options are available in the BIOS / UEFI settings.

While the system is on, you will want to make sure it has the opportunity to do the system maintenance tasks like scrubs of the pool or running the SMART diagnostic checks on the drives. You will have to figure this schedule out for yourself based on your needs, but don't think that you are actually getting the benefit of having a ZFS file system if you don't give it a chance to handle the diagnostic data that makes it strong.

As for shutting the system down, you can setup a cron schedule to issue a shutdown -p on the times and dates that you determine are appropriate based on the use of the system and whether or not the diagnostics have completed. As to whether or not any users are using the system, that is something you need to figure out. If you anticipate that a user is going to be using the system, you shouldn't be shutting it down. If you (even by a cron job) issue a shutdown command, the user will be disconnected and the system will shutdown, even if they have an open document or they are in the middle of doing real work. YOU, as the administrator of the system, must make the determination ahead of time.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You made the assumption that spinning down or powering down causes less wear and tear. That assumption is wrong. A drive spinning will last much longer than one that spins down.

Also maintenance tasks will never be run if you power off the system. Basically it's a bad idea don't do it.

tvsjr

Guru
^^ What he said. This is an enterprise system... it's meant to be up and running 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.