Run FreeNAS 24/7 for Only 8-hour Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0b0ty

Dabbler
Hey guys. I'd like to get your thoughts on this simple question.

I just finished my first FreeNAS build and notice that it's in use less than 8 hours a day... And that's minimal use too (currently using Syncthing to push contents of my Documents and Pictures directories, if they change). Nevertheless, I've kept FreeNAS on since I finished the installation this weekend.

My question is whether it's advised to just keep it running 24/7 versus shutting it down at the end of the night. I'm using recommended, compatible FreeNAS hardware, including a mirrored pair of WD Red 4TB drives in a well ventilated case. I've heard that the spin down/up of the drives is not desirable, but don't know how accurate that is, and if that is worse than leaving the machine on, even when not in use.

Your thoughts?

diedrichg

Wizard
My machine has been running 24/7 for four years. The drives do not spin down. I do the occasional reboot and I'll shut it down for a couple of days if we are going on vacation. I do regular scrubs and have SMART test results sent to me weekly. My drives are healthy and my system is stable. The only downside is that it consumes 45W. I haven't bothered to work out the math on that, but I'm sure I can afford it. Oh, and the computer is in my basement in a Fractal Design R5 and the drive temps hover between 27-32° C.

kdragon75

Wizard
All that doen time is perfect for running smart tests and scrubs! You have that setup right?

r0b0ty

Dabbler
Good point, @kdragon75! I currently have the default 35-day scrub on my single volume, hoping that it's sufficient (or the advised interval). Thanks to your comment, however, found out that I had not yet set up the SMART tests. I'll have to search the resource section for recommendations, like which type of test to run and how often, and if it's required/recommended to do it on the SSD boot drive. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.