FreeNAS has a problem with 8 TB HDDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_s-h

Contributor
My English skills are low. Therefore I use the Google translator. Then I transfer the text to the English-speaking group. In the original, see hard copies of the text: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hat-freenas-ein-problem-mit-8-tb-hdds.34924/

Hello,

When using 4TB hard drives Free NAS worked 9.2 x well. After switching to two 8TB HDD FreeNAS no longer worked 9.2 x , which means for 8 weeks I get only error messages.

I am now trying again to report everything in chronological order, maybe there is a solution. If not, then I have to look around for another server operating system .

Background: Desktop computer is a Mac OSX (on the current Mac Mini). As a server I use a Proliant N40L with 8GB of RAM and FreeNAS 9.2.x (currently: FreeNAS 9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)). This server had 4 times 4 TB disks, each 2 summarized as a volume. Apart from the regular data rate everything worked to my satisfaction.

In April 2015 I bought 2 pieces 8TB HDD (Seagate HDD Archive ST8000AS0002 8TB). From the existing configuration I have taken 2 of 4 TB HDDs and installed instead a 8TB HDD. After that I tried to copy the data from the smaller to the larger HDD. With rsync I have achieved a data rate of 80 to 100 kilobits per second (at a real transfer rate of 800 kilobytes per second) where I from the desktop to the server - copied - or vice versa. Completely unacceptable for a copy. After many attempts (also on the desktop) and some in pieces copied TB is the Mac ever "stopped". Result: the copy I had given up and bought a 2nd server (Proliant Gen8).

So the 8 HDDs in the new server, the. 4 of 4 back to the ancients With rsync tried again, but the old server (something less powerful) was at 2 rsync orders at CPU stop (100% CPU usage). Nevertheless again only between 100 and 200 kilobits per second transfer rate. Added to this was, as the 8 HDD to 98 or 99% had finished, some dung suddenly around 3 TB of data on the HDD had deleted..

The game (after all, took a copy job through 5 (!) Days) was repeated 2 times. Whether I from old to new rsynce ("press") or the new "pulls".

I'm nervous now, even at 100% stress - I need not elaborate on well.

Then I tried it with the Replizierungsaufgabe. I proceeded word for word according to the instructions of FreeNAS, but I always got two error messages: No. 1: No ECDSA host key is kown for 192.168.2.112 [...], although I had pressed the button for the automatic pick of the key in the settings dialog on the old server (192.168.2.109). The error handling in the manual (check if the SSH key is on the other side in the system => yes, there is, I had compared byte for byte) I followed. Out of frustration I still have the respective key of each server on the other copies (User: root), but the error message does not disappear.

The second message ATTENTION: A periodic snapshot of a ZFS Given Volume / dataset is required to create a replication task appears in red in the ZFS replication window, even though I have now are from that pool over 1000 snapshots on the disk.

Why the error messages? What's ECDSA?

Yesterday I then had the 8 HDD (the 2nd is not initially installed) again marked as "new" is deleted. Now I try a pool (2 4TB HDDs in the old server) to copy them to a "fresh" 8TB HDD in the new server. Now rsync runs no longer ...

So: Has Freenas an issue with large plates or why not run it now?

Thomas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.