Should I recreate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpittman

Dabbler
Hey everyone.

I installed FreeNAS and setup my volumes/shares/etc, but am starting to wonder if I could have configured it more efficiently?

I have 9x WD Green 2TB and 1x WD Green 3TB hard disks, however 4 of them are currently in use in my existing ReadyNAS and 4 WERE in use in my other ReadyNAS, then I had the two spares. So, what I did was backup one of the ReadyNAS and install 3 of those drives in a ZFS raidz config as recommended for performance, then proceeded to copy over some of my data. I then installed 3 more and extended the volume as another raidz pool and continued copying data over.

Now, I sit here with 2x 3 drive raidz pools and am continuing to move data over so I can pull in 3 more drives to extend the volume one more time.

This got me to thinking I could have setup 6 drives to start and could have set them up differently. I'm not sure if different is necessarily better though.

Can I get some thoughts and/or recommendations? I am still at a point where I can move my data back and reconfigure, so no big deal.

Thanks everyone

Luke

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Personally, I'd do a RAIDZ2 anytime before a RAIDZ1. With a RAIDZ1, if you replace one disk and another disk has even a small problem, it can turn into corruption. RAIDZ2 helps prevent that. One of the senior guys I chat with regularly had to resilver a disk for RAIDZ1 and he was "on edge" the whole time it was running. It's just a matter of how much you trust a single disk and no more from having issues.

So, considering you've had this epiphany and you've said its "no big deal" I'd fix it. :)

lpittman

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. With 6 disks would you recommend Z2 or Z3? Or should I do 5 disks now, then move my other 4 over to make another 5 disk pool?

EDIT: Okay I re-checked the FAQs and realize that 3,5,9 disks are best with Z and 4,6,10 disks are best with Z2 and 5,7,11 are best with Z3. So, I agree I want Z2, so I've gone with 6 disks. But this creates one more question: when I am ready to move over my other drives, do I need to create Z2 if I want to extend this volume? Or can it be extended with Z1?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can do either. But it is recommended you stick with the same type. So in your case, a RAIDZ2.

lpittman

Dabbler
Can I ask why it is recommended? I like the idea of sticking with Z2, but that would mean I have to buy 2 more disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.