Should I Install 11.1 or 11.2-Beta2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamin

Dabbler
I'm confused by the download page. I want more then just storage out of my new NAS. Should I be going with this beta version for my initial install? Is it stable because I plan to start adding important data right away? I guess I don't understand the upgrade cycle. Can someone please advise? Thanks!

upload_2018-8-11_22-51-35.png

Supermicro mbd-X11SSM-F
32GB x CT16G4WFD824A
6 x 2TB Ironwolf Pro
Intel Xeon E3-1270v6

kamin

Dabbler
I may not be asking the right question here. Any caveats of going with a beta for my first build?

Adrian

Contributor
Do you want to trust your important data to beta test software? The risk should be low, but you may be bitten.
For safety, install the current stable release, 11.1 (11.1-U5), found on the left side of the download page.
Some will play safe, and not upgrade to until a month after the stable release.

melloa

Wizard
I'm confused by the download page.

You are not the only one. It is saying that 11.1 is not good for anything but storage.

Should I be going with this beta version for my initial install?

Short answer? No!

gpsguy

Like the others have said, start with 11.1-U5.

FreeNAS 11,2 only recently entered it's beta2 stage. They are planning beta3 and rc versions. The release version of 11.2 is scheduled for 3 months from now. Given their previous track records, my guess is that date will be pushed out further.

I've just installed a fresh 11.1 setup - if I wait till after 11.2 comes out, save my config and do a fresh install of 11.2 on my boot media, will there be any difference at all in the final system? I know 11.2 will have an updated ZFS, will that create Zpools at all differently? will there be any artifacts at all?

gpsguy

It will be possible to upgrade to 11.2 from the webGUI. We always recommend users to save their configuration as an additional safeguard. Typically if the upgrade goies sour, you can roll back by going to a previous boot environment.

The changes to ZFS are enhancements. It won't change the creation of the zpool. As for artifacts, I don't know.

If you want to get an idea of what's new in 11.2, you can download the 11.2-Beta2 docs as a PDF, using a link in my signature. See the section - "New Features in 11.2"

if I wait till after 11.2 comes ou[ .../QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.