Should I build warden or iocage jails on 11.1-U4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticCobra

Cadet
I am a noob to the world of FreeNAS (home user). I have successfully built my server (following the hardware recommendations; nice Intel rig with plenty of ECC RAM) and it is up and running on 11.1-U4. Now I am working toward the next step of getting all my Windows machines to back up to the server, and I'm trying to use urbackup.

I have seen guides for how to do this using the legacy UI and jail interface, but I'm aware that warden is being deprecated/retired, and iocage is present in 11.1 with full support coming in 11.2.

So I seem to have a choice to make:
1) Use the legacy UI and build a warden-based jail for the urbackup server, knowing that this will need to be migrated to iocage when I eventually step up to 11.2.
2) Use the Beta UI or CLI and build an iocage-based jail for the urbackup server, which might future-proof me for an easier migration to 11.2, but with early-adopter risks of dealing with a not-fully-baked implementation
3) Hold off on setting up my urbackup solution until 11.2 arrives with the production implementation of iocage and the new UI.

Suggestions from the community? I'm inclined to try the approach of muddling through an iocage-based setup on 11.1-U4, but I am afraid of the unknown. Specifically, I'm unsure if the iocage implementation in 11.1-U4 is mature enough to support stable jails today, and I worry that I might be so ignorant that I won't recognize issues and limitations when they appear, or be able to figure out solutions and workarounds.

I've been living without an adequate backup solution for months/years, so if the best answer is to wait a few more weeks/months for 11.2 to be released, I can probably accept that risk...

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
2) Use the Beta UI or CLI and build an iocage-based jail for the urbackup server, which might future-proof me for an easier migration to 11.2, but with early-adopter risks of dealing with a not-fully-baked implementation
I'd vote for this, except that -U3 and -U4 seem to have issues with vnet networking. If there's a workaround that comes out, the CLI work to create the jail is all of one line.

Status
Not open for further replies.