Sharing with OS X & Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchan94

Explorer
Hi all,

Just rebuilt my windows 10 machine, and I would like it to have access to my FreeNAS system.

Using 9.3 STABLE (applying updates of as of right now, but nothing major).

I am currently using AFP for OS X, but I read that CIFS works for OS X & Windows 10. I have my FreeNAS system configured, but it looks like the SHARES are not showing up on either end under Network for both operating systems, and I have to manually connect it.

Is there any way to fix this, or what is the way to go about the configuration?

I have all my storages set to MAC with AFP. Let me know what I should do to get them to both recognize nicely.

Thanks!

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Assuming you have CIFS set up for your share, you can choose to map the network drive so you have easy access to it in windows. On the mac side, it's not as reliable. Although Apple is moving towards SMB, AFP still seems to be the best option in terms of ease of use, and is still the only way to network a Time Machine share (unless you get into the command line hacks). I too have a CIFS share and use it with both. On the mac side it is easiest if you connect to the share manually, the share should then show up as a network drive, after which you can drag that drive to the side bar in Finder for easy access. It tends to disappear after a certain amount of time, but I figured it might have something to do with all the failed connects when using my laptop outside of my home network. Though I could be wrong. CIFS works with Mac, though it might not play as nicely as you are used to if you've been using AFP shares thus far.

jchan94

Explorer
Assuming you have CIFS set up for your share, you can choose to map the network drive so you have easy access to it in windows. On the mac side, it's not as reliable. Although Apple is moving towards SMB, AFP still seems to be the best option in terms of ease of use, and is still the only way to network a Time Machine share (unless you get into the command line hacks). I too have a CIFS share and use it with both. On the mac side it is easiest if you connect to the share manually, the share should then show up as a network drive, after which you can drag that drive to the side bar in Finder for easy access. It tends to disappear after a certain amount of time, but I figured it might have something to do with all the failed connects when using my laptop outside of my home network. Though I could be wrong. CIFS works with Mac, though it might not play as nicely as you are used to if you've been using AFP shares thus far.

What about timemachine with the CIFs shares up? I'm having issues with it :\

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
You can't do Time Machine over CIFS.

Some people will say you can, and as I said previously, you can't do it without going into terminal and manually running some commands to trick it. I wouldn't recommend this if it is not needed. So with that in mind.

jchan94

Explorer

Some people will say you can, and as I said previously, you can't do it without going into terminal and manually running some commands to trick it. I wouldn't recommend this if it is not needed. So with that in mind.

Yeah I know I can't do it over CIFS, but I'm wondering if I can still use the AFP despite having CIFS on. AFP has crashing issues when CIFS sharing is on.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When a server has both afp and smb turned in osx will only show the afp shares in the network section. If you turn off afp then the network section will show you your smb shares.

If you want a time machine backup you need to create a backup dataset and share it using afp. You can still access you smb shares you will just have to use the 'connect to server' option and have them auto mount an start up.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
When a server has both afp and smb turned in osx will only show the afp shares in the network section. If you turn off afp then the network section will show you your smb shares.

If you want a time machine backup you need to create a backup dataset and share it using afp. You can still access you smb shares you will just have to use the 'connect to server' option and have them auto mount an start up.
Precisely. You can set it up under Sys Preferences > User > Login Items. Just add the SMB share and it should connect when you log in.

jchan94

Explorer

Hmm. Very interesting. I'll look at how to turn off AFP in OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.